Sign in to follow this  

Hello all, new to the forum and new to Leatherworking in general. I have a couple questions about making my own suede weightlifting belt. First is if sandwiching veg tan between suede what's the best edge treatment? From what I've read Fiebings edge coat, Giardini or Fenice is the route I want to go. Second is what variety of weights should I use? For strength and rigidity should I use 9oz veg tan and 2 layers of 3-4oz suede or do 2 layers of 5-6oz veg tan and 2 layers of 2-3 oz suede. General thickness should be 1/4- 3/8". Attached is a picture of what I'm shooting for!  Thank you for your time and feedback! 

10mm-Power-Belt-Royal-Blue.jpg

You could do it either way single layer of heavy veg-tan or multiple.  If you go with one layer you will want a stiff sole bend or skirting leather to make a good rigid belt.  You will want to skive down your turn-back around your buckle.  If you go with multiple layers you could run 1 layer short and just go up to the buckle and then your turn back would be half as thick.  I haven't made any suede covered belts and have always just burnished the edges so I can't speak on edge treatment but edge paint should work.  For me I would add at least one more stitch line for a two tongue buckle or two stitch lines for a single tongue buckle. 1236096894_weightbelts2.thumb.jpg.7ff7c48867f442b8721432fdea1ce504.jpg  

Excellent suede belts for weightlifting. I got my belt from my father and it is already quite old. I want to buy a new one. I have been doing weightlifting professionally for several years. At the moment I am preparing for the competition and buying myself all sorts of equipment. I need a belt and training jerseys at the moment.

This is old stuff, but still relevant.

Unless you're wanting something custom, just buy a  belt off the rack.  You can't make them anywhere near the cost that you can buy them..

As a rule, belts are sold 10 mm and 13mm thick.  This is more tradition than necessity.  Anybody thinks he/she needs a  belt that heavy to retain your abs has a serious ego problem.  Oh, I did mention that the belt is for your ABS, right?  No time for the anatomy lessons - accept that or don't.  I once had a guy tell me he needs his belt 1/2" thick.  I said you might WANT a belt that thick, and I'll make it that way if you like, but you do NOT NEED that much bulk.  Gave him a 9 oz strap, told him if you can stretch or bow that by contracting / flexing your core, I'll kiss your butt in the middle of main street, and you can bring a camera. :lol:

More of a personal choice, I prefer NOT to use suede.  There are many "reasons" given for using suede - all over the internet and in and around gyms where most do more talking than working.  Seems the TRUE reason for using it is that suede hides leather flaws, covers up low grade veg tan used underneath, and can be ordered already dyed in many colors.  Hence Amazon is full of belts with ugly leather covered with cheap suede leather, stitch thrown at it and sold for $25 (delivered) which work as well as any.

1 hour ago, JLSleather said:

This is old stuff, but still relevant.

Unless you're wanting something custom, just buy a  belt off the rack.  You can't make them anywhere near the cost that you can buy them..

As a rule, belts are sold 10 mm and 13mm thick.  This is more tradition than necessity.  Anybody thinks he/she needs a  belt that heavy to retain your abs has a serious ego problem.  Oh, I did mention that the belt is for your ABS, right?  No time for the anatomy lessons - accept that or don't.  I once had a guy tell me he needs his belt 1/2" thick.  I said you might WANT a belt that thick, and I'll make it that way if you like, but you do NOT NEED that much bulk.  Gave him a 9 oz strap, told him if you can stretch or bow that by contracting / flexing your core, I'll kiss your butt in the middle of main street, and you can bring a camera. :lol:

More of a personal choice, I prefer NOT to use suede.  There are many "reasons" given for using suede - all over the internet and in and around gyms where most do more talking than working.  Seems the TRUE reason for using it is that suede hides leather flaws, covers up low grade veg tan used underneath, and can be ordered already dyed in many colors.  Hence Amazon is full of belts with ugly leather covered with cheap suede leather, stitch thrown at it and sold for $25 (delivered) which work as well as any.

suede is unsanitary. can not be sealed,  it holds sweat and breeds nasty critters

sealed veg tan does not hold nasty little flesh eating critters 

the difference  is porous and non porous 

Edited by Frodo

Real weightlifting and powerlifting belts are usually 10mm and 13mm but as mentioned not necessarily set in stone. My wife prefers her 8mm. The reason for the thickness of the belt is not to actually train the abdominals but rather to give something rigid for your core to press against so that you can build pressure throughout your mid-section (Vasalva Maneuver). When I'm squatting and deadlifting, especially heavy, it is essential to remain extremely tight during the course of the lift and that's where the belt helps. Before I begin my lift, I take in a large gulp of air and concentrate on expanding my core the whole circumference of the belt. 

I was taught a weight belts function is to  Stabilize And Reduce Stress On The Spine  and stop you from hyperextending 

50 minutes ago, Frodo said:

I was taught a weight belts function is to  Stabilize And Reduce Stress On The Spine  and stop you from hyperextending 

It stabilizes the spine by helping to brace the core muscles (most notably transversus abdominus).  Idea is if your core is contracted the spine and vitals are protected.

1 hour ago, bgl500 said:

to give something rigid for your core to press against so that you can build pressure

Yeah, that's what i said.  And I'm saying that 10-12 oz leather is MORE than sufficient to do that.  Anything beyond that - is either going with the crowd (ie you get what you perceive "everybody else" has) or just outright ego driven (you tell yourself you're far stronger than you actually are).  The idea that ANYBODY needs 2 layers of skirting leather is ridiculous.  But, feel free... show us that guy who can put on a 12 oz leather belt, then BLOW IT OUT flexing his abs :lol:

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

suede is unsanitary. can not be sealed,  it holds sweat and breeds nasty critters

Yup - collects all manner of stuff.  Yeah, it can be cleaned, but WHY bother when you could use smooth leather which wipes off, or  better yet BRIDLE leather that repels sweat (long as you dont need it tooled).  I've seen quite a few LATIGO belts too.

If you're seriously working that power, I'd attend to the buckle tongue. You'll either bend it or break it. As far as thickness is concerned, you're talking serious amounts of flesh side, unless you double it, so issues of suede become fairly irrelevant.

In reality, the military use a stable belt for a similar purpose - which has two buckltes and is made of thick canvas to conform to the body shape more closely.

On 4/29/2021 at 10:00 AM, CruzTorres said:

Excellent suede belts for weightlifting. I got my belt from my father and it is already quite old. I want to buy a new one. I have been doing weightlifting professionally for several years. At the moment I am preparing for the competition and buying myself all sorts of equipment. I need a belt and training jerseys at the moment.

I absolutely agree with you. The belt is really good and I recently got one after using an old belt for several years, which sometimes caused me discomfort during weightlifting. In general, a lot in sports, and even more so in weightlifting, depends on the quality of the belt, its convenience, as well as on the comfort of sports equipment in general. Previously, I did not devote a particularly big role to the quality of the belt or men's workout tanks, but when I reached a serious sports level, I realized that in this sport every little thing can play a role. After this realization and tips from my trainer, I started buying and ordering equipment, including belts and workout tanks, only in professional stores.

Edited by bugmenot

I just have to chime in here . I used to do weight lifting/  power lifting in my younger days, I still have my old belt, ( I won't tell you the size)  cost me a small fortune back then. . But the pic of the blue belt is just so striking, such a beautiful colour.  Blue really is my absolute favorite colour, has been since I was a kid. The white stitching really makes it stand out. 

I was once told that the belts  give stability, spine etc.  and help prevent your guts from exploding, especially the ' man tubes' down stairs . 

Not sure if theres a market for WL belts here in Oz .  I should do some research.Or, make one and put it on display on my stall and gauge the response . 

HS