Atlr9640

Raised/padded leather,

Hello guys, 

I have been struggling to make a raise leather key ring it’s something I’ve been wanting to make for a while and I can’t seem to get it right. I’ve attached pictures of what I’m trying to go for and my current process is this;

cutting two straps to match the keyring hardware (in my case 2cm)

then adding a strip of leather in the middle of one panel much narrower than the 2cm strip and gluing on top the last strip

then using a bone folder to form the leather and get that raised effect.

my problem is that the top strap is too narrow once glued so i adjust the top layer to compensate but I still can’t get a straight line and my raised keyring looks all wonky and distorted. 

any help and way of making them would be a huge help!! 

97504998-FAB8-4464-83A6-7C8BFAD8DD77.jpeg

2BD75C2F-F0EF-4884-B7E9-0F393A66C889.jpeg

3F94FC05-E078-411B-8D55-BF30BE2A661E.jpeg

Cut one piece slightly larger, and trim to fit after gluing the the raised piece.

Hope this helps

Terry

I make the bottom piece the size I want, then I take a filler piece and bevel the edges of it  with a french edger.  Top piece is slightly larger. 

2 hours ago, terrymac said:

Cut one piece slightly larger, and trim to fit after gluing the the raised piece.

Hope this helps

Terry

Thank you terry I will definitely give this a go,

Aleks

1 hour ago, Alexis1234 said:

I make the bottom piece the size I want, then I take a filler piece and bevel the edges of it  with a french edger.  Top piece is slightly larger. 

I’ll try doing that to cut the exact measurements I want, only thing I’m worried about is with the bottom piece covered how to accurately cut the excess

I make the piece up, glue , use bone folder and tacks if need be and when it's dry I'll trim it.I personally use a round knife to trim, but whatever works for you- razor blade, scalpel, etc. For straight raised strap work I add 1/4" to the top piece- but don't hold me to that, it depends on what your doing and I haven't been at this that long!. Pics of 1/2" raised straight strap and a shaped martingale drop. I'm sure those with more experience will chime in.

IMG_6465.JPG

IMG_6468.JPG

So here is my first attempt, I definitely think as @Alexis1234 said increasing the size of the top strap, so I wanted to edge paint but because the way the straps lined up I had to bevel and burnish to hide my mistakes. excuse my stitching in the pictures I rushed it to see how it would turn out !

8CF2C531-5729-400A-9FF2-841A2B945329.jpeg

4AC8EBA5-785F-45D4-8254-D6B8E8444E5A.jpeg

7C113787-3B24-4E32-8E98-31939176490A.jpeg

DB69D349-C46C-4C22-8E75-A488FA27EF54.jpeg

Edited by Atlr9640
Forgott text to add