AndrewWR

Leather hinges

I'm looking for options for a bridle leather pilot case. The top has to stay open and not get in the way. Just out of curiosity, I wondered if I could make an actual hinge out of the same leather as the bag, so I got a bit of scrap bridle leather (1.5-2mm thick) and wet moulded it around a 2mm carbon rod. When it was dry, I halved it and cut alternating notches then assembled this hinge (100mm * 25mm).

It won't quite fold flat but probably would if folded around a 3mm rod. It does fold perfectly to 90 degrees in the other direction so a proper one should have a full 270 degree range of movement. Two lines of stitching should be more than enough to secure it. Since it's basically just a variation on a rolled edge, I'm wondering if I can make the hinge integral to the edge of the leather panels. The beauty of CF rods as pins is their flexibility: essential on a bag that's only semi-rigid.

It can't be any more prone to wear and tear than bending a strip of leather back and forth and the tallow based treatment for bridle leather should provide effective lubrication.

Can anyone think of reasons this won't work?

198976466_20200425_160929(Medium).thumb.jpg.bb2bf70bbb54b54040ecfcaadf5a685a.jpg59258578_20200425_161005(Medium).thumb.jpg.749e3cad5231bf8c77ec676eb8c870bf.jpg1394482883_20200425_161019(Medium).thumb.jpg.d76eb21d4af0c51066ffd435f327fa46.jpg2006232972_20200425_161035(Medium).thumb.jpg.620a0a116da645e01748399a70e5f7a0.jpg1078239375_20200425_161112(Medium).thumb.jpg.6a190c0b3e0bfe3373dd8cbd5d5bcdf4.jpg

No reason it won't work. I think two parts will work better than just a plain one piece hinge. 

Its a variation on the steel butt hinge. Lubrication is necessary on any hinge, and the use of carbon fibre rod is a good idea.

A type of over-lap hinge has been in use since early medieval times. Some are still in place on doors. They've hardened up so much over the centuries they are like iron now and often mistaken for iron hinges

Thanks Fredk.

However, that raises the question of why I couldn't find more than a couple of 'curiosity' examples of leather hinges (with a pin). I assumed, because nobody appeared to be doing it, there was a good reason not to.

It's too obvious an idea to have not been had by many before me and it was too easy to be abandoned on technical grounds. I actually used the same clamping arrangement I recently set up to mould tabs around buckles and D-rings for a briefcase: two lengths of 50mm x 50mm x 4mm aluminium angle and a shedload of joinery clamps.

I spent some time last night fiddling with my prototype and tidying it up a bit. A bit of breaking in was all it needed to give that full 270 degree ROM and it looks quite elegant considering it was a piece of scrap a couple of days ago. I think I'll have to make a little leather box to test it in the context before risking it on a bigger (and more expensive) project.

733223136_20200426_134919(Medium).thumb.jpg.04b3b9cd8e2377f4b8a6ea8422cec0e1.jpg1261411348_20200426_134950(Medium).thumb.jpg.9f8f7ead0cdec2bd211bd6b1c5614821.jpg1665426453_20200426_135005(Medium).thumb.jpg.84da52d87c365840d66738cb54a07bee.jpg

2 hours ago, AndrewWR said:

However, that raises the question of why I couldn't find more than a couple of 'curiosity' examples of leather hinges (with a pin). I assumed, because nobody appeared to be doing it, there was a good reason not to.

It's too obvious an idea to have not been had by many before me and it was too easy to be abandoned on technical grounds.. . . 

The most obvious answer to why is there aren't many around; the nature of leather, it rots away. Especially in damp or wet conditions. Early leather was not tanned extremely well and even today's leather will rot away eventually

Second reason is, up to the start of the Industrial Period (late 1700s) anything made of iron, especially fripperies, were considered prestigious and thinks made of leather, wood or pottery were replaced with iron. Then after the I.P. iron and steel gradually became cheaper and it was easier and cheaper to make things like hinges in factories

In some museums you can still find travelling trunks and such from the Napoleonic Wars era and before with leather hinges. The hinges go un-noticed as they are 'just hinges'.  In most cases the hinges are two-part over-lap with a wood dowel pin, unlike your multi-part butt, or 'piano' hinge.

I'm kinda worried that the leather will soften up too much with use. Perhaps a brass rod as a pin rather than C.F. in the briefcase one?

Three experiments in one piece of work: Leather hinges, my new brogue punches and a first attempt at box stitching.

I figured this would test the practicality and durability of leather butt hinges before I attempt to put them on something bigger (and more expensive). The box is made from scrap Sedgwick Bridle leather about 4mm thick. The feet are 8mm Sam Brownes and the closure is a German made Loxx fastener (just like a Tenex). The hinge and hasp are made of 1.5-2mm bridle hide, wet formed around a 2mm carbon fibre rod. The dimensions are 17cm x 12cm x 12cm.

It's going to be used for my shoeshine gear so it'll be used almost every day and any wear issues on those hinges should be apparent pretty soon. That said, my prototype (see above) has been on my desk for a month and fiddled with a lot (it's like a fidget spinner in that respect) and it's showing no adverse signs. 

601947397_20200518_164407(Medium).thumb.jpg.1d4f3662bd5e2cf7d560b3410bfad0aa.jpg1182162440_20200518_191359(Medium).thumb.jpg.dbe3d92c7e8f435bd2230c1f5148292b.jpg866230075_20200518_164503(Medium).thumb.jpg.7c85d5fd18d5f0f871adf8f3bfa17944.jpg

That looks most excellent

They sure look the part only time will tell. They are cool!

love the box,  that is thinking  ''outside the box''  

that hinge will last forever if the box is kept dry, oiled

if it is left to dry out it will rot out

Love something different. You probably have already thought of this, but when you build your case don't forget to use large/deep enough feet to protect that hinge. Can't wait to see it.

7 hours ago, Frodo said:

love the box,  that is thinking  ''outside the box''  

that hinge will last forever if the box is kept dry, oiled

if it is left to dry out it will rot out

I use Sedgwick's own preparation for maintaining bridle leather. It's the same stuff they originally curried the hide with so there probably is nothing better for this leather. 

I'm still puzzled why I couldn't find more than a couple of (very chunky) examples of this sort of hinge on Google. It was easy enough to make them and the decorative possibilities would surely appeal to the toolers out there. There doesn't appear to be a wear issue and I don't expect one because the leather isn't being flexed like a strap hinge. 

6 hours ago, blue duck said:

Love something different. You probably have already thought of this, but when you build your case don't forget to use large/deep enough feet to protect that hinge. Can't wait to see it.

Actually BD, I'm thinking of them for a pilot's case so the hinge will be at the top.

It's a good point though. If one of these hinges were on ,say, an attache case, the feet would need to be high enough to keep the hinge off the ground. That said, this particular hinge is 6mm thick (2mm leather wrapped around a 2mm CF rod).

could possibly be the reason you are not seeing a lot of leather hinges is the hinge is leather, it will stretch with time, the rod will become loose

it is a fantastic idea, for an item that will not be used every day.  their are reasons that we stopped using leather hinges and changed to metal

that would be durability. i DO LIKE IT ,