CharlesG

Flattening a Tandy round knife

Well, it is a cheap knife (€ 20), and probably not forged but cut from sheet metal, and I won't even speculate about steel quality. I have all the sharpening tools I could need, I just need to get my ass in gear and do it. (I got sidetracked from leatherwork by the need for a new bed...) 

Best advice I can give someone who wants a consistent edge on a knife is to cut yourself a wood wedge that is between 12 and 15 degrees.  lay your sand paper flat and place the knife on the wedge

OR. screw the wedge to your belt sander platform

also use the wedge when you use your stones.  keeping the consistent angle is key to the process

Listen to Chuck,  I can vouch for his ability to sharpen a point. the one he sent me attacked my fingers. drew blood, it was vicious 

13 minutes ago, Klara said:

Well, it is a cheap knife (€ 20), and probably not forged but cut from sheet metal, and I won't even speculate about steel quality. I have all the sharpening tools I could need, I just need to get my ass in gear and do it. (I got sidetracked from leatherwork by the need for a new bed...) 

New bed?  8 -1x4's and 1- 2x4   is a new king size bed, Less the head board

10 hours ago, Frodo said:

New bed?  8 -1x4's and 1- 2x4   is a new king size bed, Less the head board

That's the easy part, and the one I've sorted. I hope. Problem is the mattress, and the foundation....

1 hour ago, Klara said:

That's the easy part, and the one I've sorted. I hope. Problem is the mattress, and the foundation....

I believe I paid around $300.00 USD for a memory foam king size

and the foundation i made from wood

It's not a question of money (for the mattress) but of too much choice. The fact that Ikea's top models weigh over 50 kg is a problem as well (other brands probably weigh the same but Ikea clearly states the weight).

For the foundation money is a problem because I find the prices of commercial ones completely ridiculous, in a bad way. Except a bit of research has shown that wood has gotten horribly expensive. Gotta check again what I have here...