teejaysee

Slim yet durable fabric for wallet card slot backing?

Hi guys, am currently learning to make leather wallets, and was thinking of a fabric to use for the interior as backing for card slots.

Could someone recommend a fabric that is durable, yet as slim as possible so that it would not add to the thickness of the wallet.

I read about polyester/nylon, and was wondering if there is a specific type that could be suitable.

Would appreciate if a link or shop could be provided as well to order online!

Thanks in advance! :)

Take a look at Makers Leather Supply, he has what your looking for( if I understand what you want). It's Tyvek under "must have" supplies on their web page. Good folks to deal with.

On 4/27/2020 at 8:18 AM, Cattledude said:

Take a look at Makers Leather Supply, he has what your looking for( if I understand what you want). It's Tyvek under "must have" supplies on their web page. Good folks to deal with.

thanks for the reply! went to check them out but damn shipping costs to where im at is $50+ wow! :/ what a shame hahah

On 4/26/2020 at 1:27 PM, teejaysee said:

Hi guys, am currently learning to make leather wallets, and was thinking of a fabric to use for the interior as backing for card slots.

Could someone recommend a fabric that is durable, yet as slim as possible so that it would not add to the thickness of the wallet.

I read about polyester/nylon, and was wondering if there is a specific type that could be suitable.

Any material would be good, from cotton print, silk or thin pig-skin or Kid leather. 

I buy Tyvek from a arts and crafts store in london, it feels like paper buy incredibly strong and will not tear so needs cutting and comes in A1 sheets. Tyvek is also used a lot for those white coveralls used in dirty area's by workmen. It also sticks to leather very well I use evo stik contact adhesive but no doubt will work with any other , and using it for hidden pockets in a wallet had no problems after about 2 years and realistically don't expect any as only slight pressure when you insert the cards

Hope this helps see https://store.bookbinding.co.uk/store/category/92/163/Tyvek-Spun-Polyester-Paper/

On 4/28/2020 at 9:20 AM, chrisash said:

I buy Tyvek from a arts and crafts store in london, it feels like paper buy incredibly strong and will not tear so needs cutting and comes in A1 sheets. Tyvek is also used a lot for those white coveralls used in dirty area's by workmen. It also sticks to leather very well I use evo stik contact adhesive but no doubt will work with any other , and using it for hidden pockets in a wallet had no problems after about 2 years and realistically don't expect any as only slight pressure when you insert the cards

Hope this helps see https://store.bookbinding.co.uk/store/category/92/163/Tyvek-Spun-Polyester-Paper/

Never thought of using that in a wallet.   Thanks, just goes to show, you learn something new every day.

Tandy sells Tyvek , pre-cut for horizontal or vertical pockets

I got my Tyvek from E-Bay.  Only bout a yard and shipping was around $5.  I got in in three days.

Polyester lining should work.

Denim

2''  wide christmas ribbon