Made this today. What do you think?

20200426_172605.jpg

20200426_172926.jpg

Nice scabbard.  The stitching looks nice and I like the accent border line. 

Scootch

15 hours ago, Scootch said:

Nice scabbard.  The stitching looks nice and I like the accent border line. 

Scootch

Thank you Scootch!

I'm in the process of making another one of these. I made 4 knives almost all the same size except the handles. What does everyone use on the inside of the sheath? I watched a bunch of YT videos. Seems Resolene or Tan Kote. Which would be better? I don't have either. I have dye now as it arrived yesterday. Fiebings Pro dye Chocolate and Saddle tan. 

Did you welt the seam to protect the stitching as the knife slides in and out?

I did put a welt in it. If you look really close and blow up the size. You can barely see it.

Edited by DaveP

Looks good, also if you run a overstitch wheel over the stitching it will even out and help set the stitches.

Hi

I like both Resolene and Tan Kote, I did some experimenting with those and Bag Kote.  I don't know about the durability of any of the three, but the Bag Kote looks a little better and isn't shiny like Tan Kote.  Resolene is good, but I put on 3-4 light coats before I decided I was done.

Later

You broke the cardinal rule. Always have at least one picture showing the knife. Looks great.

I'm pretty new at this with only making a handful of items.  Thus far I've only used Tan Kote but I'm planning to try Resolene.  Like you the only instruction I've had is youtube with the exception of a few folks on the forum giving me some pointers. At some point I want to build a small book library.  You could give the leather a two second dunk in water and form around the handle a bit if you wanted and I think all veggie tan needs some sort of oil nourishment before applying your protective coating.

Scootch

13 hours ago, bikermutt07 said:

You broke the cardinal rule. Always have at least one picture showing the knife. Looks great.

Here's the knives I've made for this sheath. Only have picture of three, but made four so far.

3 knives.jpg

7 hours ago, DaveP said:

Here's the knives I've made for this sheath. Only have picture of three, but made four so far.

3 knives.jpg

Cool

I like em, but I feel like it needs some neatsfoot oil so it doesn't feel and look so dry... 

YinTx

I want to slick the flesh side of the leather. I made a couple more sheaths (inprogress). One is saddle tan and other chocolate Fiebings oil dye. Will resolene work as a slicking agent for the flesh side? I have a bottle of it coming in the mail at some point. 

I tried water on the belt loop after a little sanding. It's just ok but doesn't really look that great. Don't have a pic of that. 

2 sheaths.jpg

Edited by DaveP

26 minutes ago, DaveP said:

I want to slick the flesh side of the leather. I made a couple more sheaths (inprogress). One is saddle tan and other chocolate Fiebings oil dye. Will resolene work as a slicking agent for the flesh side? I have a bottle of it coming in the mail at some point. 

I tried water on the belt loop after a little sanding. It's just ok but doesn't really look that great. Don't have a pic of that. 

Mix the Resolene 50/50 with water, apply with a brush to the inside of the sheath, wait a couple minutes and then slick down with a bone folder or something similar.  Then let it dry completely for about 24 hours and it should be pretty slick.

I'll try the 50/50 tonight. Package arived today.

The 50/50 mix of Resolene worked like a reallywell. This is veg tan belly leather.  It's very fibrous on flesh side. 

Thanks again... David 

20200504_184148.jpg

This one is done.  

20200504_230630.jpg

20200504_231721.jpg