DaveP

Which stitching awl?

Which diamond stitching awl do you recommend?

I use Barry King for my thinner leather and Osborne for my thicker leather. I think its mostly just preference.  Osborne are cheaper so I can get several sizes but they need to be sharpened. ;The Barry King are sharp and polished when you get them.

John 

I use the Barry King with the interchangeable blade.  The handle is in-between his small and medium size.

Scootch

my favourite awl is one I found at a market that is interchangable. 2.6mm x 30mm. No Idea who made it. I have a Tandy one that is ok but I never use it. 

I found the best awls, that suit me, come from Japan.    I think the company is called GoodsJapan, and a member of this forum has reviewed them.

Sorry, having a senior moment for names this morning.   Need more coffee.....

I buy the cheapest wally world  diamond awl i can find,  then reshape the blade with a belt sander to fit my personal needs

. I remove the thin to wide taper,  I like my awls thin and slightly blunt

I am opening an existing hole not creating a new one.

For punching a new hole ,  I use a very sharp awl,  ''scary sharp''  

I use a Vergez Blanchard.  I paid 18 bucks but now I see them in the $22. range.  It took a bit of work to polish it.  I used stones and sandpaper.  I bought a Barry King awl blade and carved a handle.  I think I paid $25.00 for the blade.  I was pretty disappointed and keep kicking myself for not returning it.  It looks as if it was the same as the VB until someone over-polished it and made it thinner, narrower and less diamond shaped.  The widest point--which is narrower than the VG--is at the base where it meets the handle.  They make good tools but the awl I got sucks.  Maybe it was just a one off?   I never contacted them about it, but I'm sure they would've made it good.  I have a Palo Santo flat awl that I use sometimes with KS blades' irons that works well for .45mm thread but not on anything thicker that is knotted in the needle.   Rocky Mountain Leather has a few awls on their site that interest me.  Let us know what you you end up getting.  

IMG_20200427_115331.jpg

Thank you  for your replies. Looked at the Barry King awls. Yes, they look nice. I searched all mentioned. I ended up ordering the Rocky Mountain awl. Others seemed out of my tool budget. If I need to hone it some I'm ok with that. Just ordered yesterday. Waiting and repost whenever it arrives.

Thanks again,

David

Received the Rocky mountain awl. It was nice.  Loose in the handle.  It's too short for my needs going through 3 layers of veg tan. They were very helpful with my return. They suggested a Vergez Blanchard.  Received it yesterday.  The length is great,  blade needed some attention.  Goes thru easily now. It still needs a little more work. They are very friendly and helpful with all of my questions. Again thanks for the help!

20200511_012710.jpg

6 hours ago, DaveP said:

Received the Rocky mountain awl. It was nice.  Loose in the handle.  It's too short for my needs going through 3 layers of veg tan. They were very helpful with my return. They suggested a Vergez Blanchard.  Received it yesterday.  The length is great,  blade needed some attention.  Goes thru easily now. It still needs a little more work. They are very friendly and helpful with all of my questions. Again thanks for the help!

20200511_012710.jpg

Recommend you check out Nigel's video on sharpening a saddler's awl.  Some good advice therein.

Great video...thanks