YinTx

Stepped WAAAAY out of my Comfort zone.. and used Paint!

Did a Cherry Blossom phone case, and tried my hand at Angelus Paints.  Not the best in the world, but I think if I do it a few more times I'll get the hang of it!  Anyhow, let me know what ya'll think!

YinTx

CherryPhone1LoRes.thumb.jpg.7e3e69aad0398e88f0581d69384c57ac.jpg

CherryPhone2LoRes.thumb.jpg.3c10c6698e7a5dbbde3707a35455905a.jpg

CherryPhone5LoRes.thumb.jpg.ed850ee200e7594d6b6e8150d2083f3d.jpg

That looks nice.

Nowt in Art needs to be perfect

30 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Did a Cherry Blossom phone case, and tried my hand at Angelus Paints.  Not the best in the world, but I think if I do it a few more times I'll get the hang of it!  Anyhow, let me know what ya'll think!

YinTx

CherryPhone1LoRes.thumb.jpg.7e3e69aad0398e88f0581d69384c57ac.jpg

CherryPhone2LoRes.thumb.jpg.3c10c6698e7a5dbbde3707a35455905a.jpg

CherryPhone5LoRes.thumb.jpg.ed850ee200e7594d6b6e8150d2083f3d.jpg

Very good work!

Looks great! What are your thoughts on the Angelus brand of paints. I have never used them.  I'm about to purchase leather and the only brand of paint, dyes, etc is Angelus. I kind of wanted to avoid having to pay shipping from several places.

2 hours ago, fredk said:

That looks nice.

Nowt in Art needs to be perfect

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

Very good work!

Thank you!

1 hour ago, rleather said:

Looks great! What are your thoughts on the Angelus brand of paints. I have never used them.  I'm about to purchase leather and the only brand of paint, dyes, etc is Angelus. I kind of wanted to avoid having to pay shipping from several places.

Thank you.  The only paint I have used is Angelus, and I have only painted on a couple of items, this one by far has the most paint.  I had really good luck with it, no issues with smearing/bleeding etc even when I used resist (also used Angelus brand acrylic finisher for the resist).  I usually order direct from Angelus, but they are closed to new orders due to Covid I believe.  You can go to their website to see the most recent availability.  I did find some on Ebay with free shipping, since I had no white.  Really tho, the price is about double the cost from Angelus, because the shipping is baked into the cost, so probably even.

I have also heard you can use any acrylic paint, nothing special about it.  But I am far from an expert on this obviously!

YinTx

1 hour ago, Rolandranch said:

Love it! Nice work!

Appreciate it!

YinTx

Good job Yin. Way to go for it. I can barely fill in letters I've stamped with paint and have it look neat. I like the gnarly branch and how it kept it's gnarleyness even through the paint.

Paint scary. Me no like paint... hehe

I'll need to try some eventually. I've used some to do broad coverings but only solid colors. 

That looks pretty good to me!

2 hours ago, battlemunky said:

Good job Yin. Way to go for it. I can barely fill in letters I've stamped with paint and have it look neat. I like the gnarly branch and how it kept it's gnarleyness even through the paint.

Thank you, and just for the record, I did the branches with dye.  Really was worried about losing the texture through paint, and I didn't really feel like i had a color that would do it justice with paint..  Really hard to keep the brown only on the branches with dye for sure!

2 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Paint scary. Me no like paint... hehe

I'll need to try some eventually. I've used some to do broad coverings but only solid colors. 

That looks pretty good to me!

Yeah, it's why it took me years to get over the mental block and just try it.  At least now I know when I have to, I can fake it till I make it!  Thanks for the compliment!

YinTx

For getting texture when painting you can thin the paint then when dry use an ink in the same way you use antique gel

Looks good. I assume the paint is the pink and green over dyed red leather? Did you dye the brown first? Looks a little tedious.  My eyes are getting old and when I paint I use my optivisors  and small brushes....really helps.

Very nice work.  It's good to go past your comfort zone and you nailed it.

13 hours ago, Outfitr said:

Looks good. I assume the paint is the pink and green over dyed red leather? Did you dye the brown first? Looks a little tedious.  My eyes are getting old and when I paint I use my optivisors  and small brushes....really helps.

So if I knew what I was doing, I probably would have done something like that.  Instead, I carefully dyed the branches, then dyed all the red around the flowers, then painted the flowers in 5 layers or more... resist.. antique.. etc. Yeah, pretty tedious.  I had a pretty small brush, it certainly helped!

12 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Very nice work.  It's good to go past your comfort zone and you nailed it.

Thank you! I do try to push myself a bit, just that it causes me to go into think mode for months before I actually start to cut the leather...and as such I don't get much done in the process!  I keep having to tell myself "less think, more do..."

YinTx

YinTx, from the work you post here, that I have seen, I didn’t think anything was above your comfort zone.  Maybe you should work less comfortably in the future :)

Nice job Y!  I have used inexpensive acrylic paint from Wally World with pretty good results. Good way to practice without spending a lot on paint.

Gary

I've used Angelus acrylic paint for leather a good deal with an air brush and with a paint brush. The best advice I can offer is to watch some of the video on Angelus's website and a guy by the name of Dillion Dejesus. Most of the videos are about painting on leather tennis shoes, but the how's and why's of using angelus paint on leather are spot on. Be sure to understand how to use duller, thinner and the right kind of finish, it makes a huge difference in how your project turns out.  

Edited by ScottWolf

7 hours ago, RemingtonSteel said:

YinTx, from the work you post here, that I have seen, I didn’t think anything was above your comfort zone.  Maybe you should work less comfortably in the future :)

Well thank you, not sure I deserve the sentiment, seems i'm always in a discomfort zone - really slows me down a lot!  I have several projects that just simmer because I am hesitant on them, even when I've done prototyping.   Sometimes I just need to get on with it, and somedays I think I need to get comfortable making the same thing over and over so I can actually put out some product!

5 hours ago, garypl said:

Nice job Y!  I have used inexpensive acrylic paint from Wally World with pretty good results. Good way to practice without spending a lot on paint.

Gary

Thank you, and true thing on using cheaper paints.  They can work.  However,  I happen to have come across a lot.. and I mean a lot.. of Angelus paint, I don't think I'll ever finish up the bottles I have!  Especially if you dilute at all, a little bit goes a long long way.

2 hours ago, ScottWolf said:

he best advice I can offer is to watch some of the video on Angelus's website

I'll do that.  I'd seen one or two in the past, I think they did a leather chair once even, but it seemed a bit removed from doing veg tan painting.  I'll revisit them and try to learn something!

YinTx

This looks great.

Just now, spacedog said:

This looks great.

Thank you.  It's seen over a year of use, and still looks just as good!

YinTx

11 minutes ago, YinTx said:

Thank you.  It's seen over a year of use, and still looks just as good!

YinTx

I always worry the paint will rub off or flake, but it hasn't yet on my projects. Glad to here you have had good results too.

9 minutes ago, spacedog said:

I always worry the paint will rub off or flake, but it hasn't yet on my projects. Glad to here you have had good results too.

I've had the same concern, but using Angelus I have never had it come off.  Even on a well worn dog collar!

YinTx

Dog collars are about the only thing I paint and the occasional name on a belt and have never had Angelus paint rub off