gigidept

Magnetic seam guide VS. swing down installed roller seam guide?

Hi all,

I'm contemplating a seam guide for my Techsew 2700. Do people have experience with magnetic ($8 / $10) vs. mounted seam guides(~$100)? Is the expensive one worth the investment? I'm not doing huge volumes. 

I'm pretty good at making straight seams already but I'm contemplating that this will make it faster/easier/less stressful. How much pressure from the material being sewn can the magnetic guide take? I often sew two layers of 4-5oz veg tan. Thanks in advance!

I just received a suspended edge guide for my Juki 1508 NH 5 minutes before I saw your post.  I ordered it on Amazon for $30.  Quality looks pretty good.  I'll let you know once I attach it an try it out later this afternoon.  

small roller edge guide.jpg

The mounted ones are way more reliable and you can get for under $30 on-line . Magnetic ones tend to move and that's the last thing you want. You can also get feet with a built in edge guide

I have a magnetic one and it works fine for my work. The magnet is pretty strong and as long as you don't apply too much pressure it doesn't move. It usually removes my bobbin cover with it when I try to take it off.

I use one of those drop down ones on my Juki, and I would not be without it now.   One of the best things you can treat your sewing machine to.

Thanks all for your input!

On 4/29/2020 at 12:27 PM, LeatherLegion said:

The mounted ones are way more reliable and you can get for under $30 on-line

So I guess I'll have to figure out which one is compatible with my machine, so if my machine is a particular Juki clone for example, I should be able to find a compatible one? Or are they more or less universal? Does anyone know if/what the Techsew 2700 is a clone of? I found this thread but the question isn't really answered. 

I couldn’t find one that easily fitted my Juki model, but I solved that by making an adaptor plate/spacer.

Edited by LumpenDoodle2

Same here. Searching ebay/aliexpress indicated that they all appear to be the same, and though one or two came with an "adaptor plate" it was unclear which models they would fit. I had to make adaptor plates for my Seiko and my Cowboy. No big deal.

In answer to your question, I made various magnetic guides but found they were prone to moving if I wasn't careful. They would probably work fine with material but the stiffer leather can put more pressure against the guide.

You can also use a single or stack of 5/8” or 3/4” neodium magnets for a simple edge guide.

Thanks all!