ZigZag

Sewing 3D parts

I was wondering if anyone has tried sewing a 3D printed object to a piece of leather? What type of filament would be suitable to be stitched?

The filament would depend on what / where the part is, will it need strength or flexibility? Etc

13 hours ago, ZigZag said:

I was wondering if anyone has tried sewing a 3D printed object to a piece of leather? What type of filament would be suitable to be stitched?

You intrigue us, what cunning plan are you hatching.B)

I would suggest nylon would be light and strong 

I have some nylon ordered so will give that a go.

Not going to let on exactly what the intended use is, but imagine an air vent with slats and a rain cover stitched to the side of a canvas tent. That kind of thing. So a wide brim with a stitching grove printed and then a slightly thinner material to print through.

I just tried this onto a failed print that I stopped at .8mm high. This is pla+ filament and a 160 size needle going through. I expected it to split apart but there is no sign of that. At .2mm layers printed =4 layers I suppose that is a bit like plywood in that the grain crosses over each other every other layer. Something else in the brain box to try and remember:wacko:

DSC05719_resize.JPG

Hey Rocky, that is fascinating and thank you for sharing. I generally sew with V92 thread and 190 needles and I’m hoping to sew through at least 1mm. Or I could move up to the big 441 and make the stitching more of a feature. Great to hear the material is holding out. I’ll be giving this a go over the next few weeks so will update you. 
thanks

Nick

On 6/16/2020 at 4:17 AM, ZigZag said:

Hey Rocky, that is fascinating and thank you for sharing. I generally sew with V92 thread and 190 needles and I’m hoping to see through at least 1mm. Or I could move up to the big 441 and make the stitching more of a feature. Great to hear the material is holding out. I’ll be giving this a go over the next few weeks so will update you. 
thanks

Nick

Thanks that would be great. I will be doing a bag design in the next couple of days which will have the handle hole design reinforced with pla and set in between the leather layers and then stitched through. Will take a few pics and post when I get it done.

Brian