stampingdelight

what paint & sealer is best

Hi

what kind of paint can one use on leather & any tips so you do not have to keep painting item all the time or over time.   Also if you seal the leather will that keep you form having to be repaint leather, if so what sealer is best to use on leather painted objects?  Also if you seal the leather & item is wet molded will sealing item on just the top keep item form loosing its shape if gets wet?

1 hour ago, stampingdelight said:

Hi

what kind of paint can one use on leather & any tips so you do not have to keep painting item all the time or over time.   Also if you seal the leather will that keep you form having to be repaint leather, if so what sealer is best to use on leather painted objects?  Also if you seal the leather & item is wet molded will sealing item on just the top keep item form loosing its shape if gets wet?

Tandy sells acrylics that have always done good for the few projects I've painted.  Just remember, . . . nothing painted will always stay pristine, . . . 

I always go over my paint work with Resolene, . . . and I go over the painted part a couple extra times to protect the art work.

Sadly, . . . using the leather object will eventually wear the finish, . . . and can wear it off the inside.  In the case of a clutch purse, . . . holster, . . . or other such piece, . . . it can get wet from the inside, . . . but unless it gets fully soaked, you will usually be alright, . . . the finish itself tending to try to retain the shape.

Personally, . . . I always seal the whole project, . . . inside and out, . . . and Resolene is my product of choice.

EDIT:  The one exception to sealing the inside is if I use a soft liner such as suede or pigskin.

May God bless,

Dwight

Edited by Dwight

If you are asking, then I would suggest buying Angelus paint and sealer.  They arw formulated to work together, and Angelus guarantees it won't peel or flake if you follow their directions.

These are the paints used by the sneakerheads for restoring leather athletic shoes.

There are lots of good products on the market, but theirs have so much support and tutorials via Youtube, etc., that they are very friendly to use.

Acrylic paints for fabric give the best results. In my opinion of all the acrylic paints that I've tried, Artistro is the best: https://artistro.com/  Their acrylic markers are great too. I've used them not only on leather, but on glassware and on wood as well

To finish leather, it’s better to use a specialized elastic fixative. But good acrylic paint is durable enough. So, you can decide by yourself whether to use it or not. In any case, the paint will wear off over time. The main thing is to wear and clean leather carefully.

Edited by JacobEricksonnn