I made this holster a couple years ago for mself but never finished it.  I decided to try Pure Neatsfoot Oil.  This is the color it came out.  I like the rich brown color and the fact that it looks used.  I have not put anythng on it except one coat of NF oil.  What should I finish it with or leave as is?

Colt_1873.jpg

Edited by PAMuzzle

Looks real good.  Try Resolene from Tandy.  I'm sure others will chime in on their favorite finishes.

I second Resolene.  Mix it 50/50 with water and brush it on gently.  Brush a fair amount into the inside of the holster.  It will absorb very quickly.  Let that dry about 5 minutes and then do the outside.  It won't take nearly as much to get even coating on the outside as on the inside.  Try not to let it pool - you want as even of a coat as possible.  It will leave a fairly glossy finish at first that will wear with a little time.  It also stiffens the holster quite a bit which is good.  

I have been using Atom Wax and like the sheen it has, its not water proof. My next set I am going to try Resolene 50/50 mix, I have used it straight before in the past but never 50/50.

Nice Holster...

Thanks all.  I have used Resolene before also but never 50/50.  I will try that.

Here's a pic of what it looked like before I oiled it.

Colt_1873_unfinished.jpg

John Bianchi, . . . professional holster maker of some 60 years or so, . . . often used a bath of neatsfoot oil to finish his holsters, . . . and nothing else.  

He did a set of VHS videos featuring a western rig and it was done that way, . . . I like it myself sometimes.  Otherwise, . . . Resolene is my finish of choice.

May  God bless,

Dwight

Thanks Dwight,  I have those DVD’s.  I haven’t watched it for awhile and didn’t remember if he put a finish over the oil.

very nice I use a coat neatsfoot also, then a good waterproofing with fiebings golden mink oil

thanks chuck123