KrisQ

Intro and first wallet

Hello all! My name is Kris- I may have actually been a member of this forum a decade ago (or maybe even longer if it's been around that long) but on an email address I no longer have and I can't seem to find any of my old posts under common forum names I used at the time. Anyway, back then I did a handful of utility projects and now with quarantine rules have picked back and and refined my "fine" leatherworking skills. This is my first or second wallet depending on how you count it. Nothing earth shattering in design but I did design it myself; I made a prototype after I drew it up and found I made the pockets too tight. Increased sizing ever so slightly and then made this with "good" leather. French Montbelle on the outside, Vachetta on the inside, .6mm tiger thread.

Inside stitching looks nicer than the outside if you look closely- the texture on the black leather is very hard- enough so to cause the stitching chisel to wander, and even to force individual stitches out of perfect alignment. If I did it again I might punch it from the back side instead.

I enjoy looking at others' work and will probably have a question here and there. Nice to be here again!

LW_KZ1_8633.jpg

LW_KZ1_8640.jpg

LW_KZ1_8662.jpg

I like this wallet. Slim profile, and the combination of that black "LVMH-leather" in combination with the natural veg tan and white thread looks really good together.

Welcome back !! I really like your wallet. definitely inspired by Louis V...I have been contemplating ordering some Montbelle leather to make some projects and I’m sold now...I have never used that kind of leather but I like the look a lot also.

How is the temper on the montbelle leather and what weight did you use ? Is the inside pocket lined ?

Very well done.  I'm about to try my first wallet.  Should be fun.  First I ordered a kit and when that's done I'll go freelance.

Thanks all! I got the Montbelle leather from Rocky Mountain Leather and had it split down to 3oz. Whatever process they use to create the surface texture makes it hard feeling to the touch. Impossible to see divider marks on it- had to put masking tape on while I was marking stitches so I could see. It is fairly stiff. Definitely stiffer than 3oz tooling veg tan. The cash pocket is not lined; I lined it on the prototype I made of similar weight leathers and it came out thicker than I wanted. Not unreasonably so, but I wanted this to be thinner than the wallet I was replacing (which was falling apart and had a surprising amount of cloth in it for a designer "leather" wallet).

Welcome to the forum.