JudyB

Just got a Sailrite Fabricator

I just got a new-to-me Sailrite Fabricator.  It's used, but virtually like new.  The prior owner still had almost all the original needles that came with it originally.  I will be using it for mostly boat upholstry, boat accessories, and boat canvas.  

I'm wondering what the machine head is based on. Are there feet that will work available from somebody other than Sailrite?  Can someone recommend a good source for zipper feet, binders.   I'd really appreciate any background information on the machine, and tips on supplies.  

https://www.sailrite.com/Sailrite-Fabricator-Sewing-Machine-in-Power-Stand-with-Workhorse-Servo-Motor

Edited by JudyB

A close-up look at the head shows that it uses standard Singer 111 compound feed walking foot machine feet. They are sold everywhere industrial sewing machines are sold. The same feet are used on Consew, Juki and dozens of other brands that are based on the Singer 111w155.

Note: This machine doesn't use the feet from the smaller portable Sailrite machines. Those are only dual, top/bottom feed machines that have specialized feet with teeth on the bottom.

Like Techsew, Tacsew, Yamata and several other badged names.  Most are not triple-feed style machine.  They have the feed dogs and the walking foot mechanisms, but not the needle feed.  

4 hours ago, JudyB said:

I'm wondering what the machine head is based on.

I'd say it is very similar to a Consew 206RB-5. The bobbin is on the left end, accessed by sliding the bobbin access cover plate to the left. It uses M style bobbins like the 206 and has the same needles and presser feet. One difference is that the Fabricator is optimized for sewing canvas, vinyl and Sunbrella, not leather. The maximum thickness is about 1/8 inch less than the Consew 206.

@JudyB, from the casting, it looks like it is based on the Mitsibushi LY2-3300. It may actually be made by them. Sailrite changed the balanced wheel and maybe some other parts.

ly2-3300.jpg

sailrite-fabricator.jpg

Edited by JJN
added photo

Thank you to all who replied and shared their knowledge.  I’ve been reading zillions of posts on this forum and learning a lot.  

I found  more info online at Sewinggold.com . The head looks identical to the Tacsew 111w-155, which in turn is built by Typical.

From https://sewinggold.com/product/tacsew-t111-155/ :

“Tacsew sold their industrial line to Consew so they will no longer be distributing industrial sewing machines. The majority of their machines were based on the brand Typical. The T111-155 is the same as the Typical GC6-7-D which we sell.”

More info on the Typical GCG-7G, from https://sewinggold.com/product/typical-gc6-7-d/ :

“ 

Specifications

Speed, Max (S.P.M.): 2500* Clearance Under Foot: 1/2" (13mm) Needle Bar Stroke: (37mm) Stitch Length, Max.: (8mm) Needle: 135 x 17 and 135 x 16 for leather Bobbin - Metal: 18034 - Pre-wound : M Hook: Large Horizontal Rotary Workspace: 10 5/16" (260mm) Bed Size: 7" x 18-7/8" (178 x 475mm) Stitch Type: 301 *Speed depends on thread, material and operation.

Applications

• For sewing medium to heavy-weight material such as leather, vinyl, upholstery, synthetics, canvas and various coated and laminated products
  • Designed for stitching such products as auto, boat and furniture upholstery, tarpaulin, covers, sails, tents, camping trailer covers, awnings, umbrellas, tops, bags, luggage, handbags, travelware accessories, sports and camping equipment, wearing apparel, outdoor clothing, canvas shoes, slippers, orthopedic appliances etc

Features

• Long stitch - (8mm)
  • Large bobbin. Bobbin can be changed without removing article being sewn
  • Thread release finger (for heavy thread)
  • High presser foot lift - 1/2" (13mm)
  • Auto Lubrication
  • All gear driven hook mechanism. Large horizontal axis hook
  • Adjustable reverse stitching can be same length as forward stitch
  • Simple adjustment permit raising and lower of the center foot which allows for sewing different thickness of materials and thus assures positive stitching
  • Walking feet, needles and other attachments interchangeable with most other brands walking foot machines
  • Feet can be changed for special operations
  • Standard attachments easily installed
  • Compound feed, walking foot mechanism insures even feeding of material
  • Locking stitch regulator prevents changes in stitch length from vibration

I’ll edit this post later to add pictures; I’m using a tablet without storage right now and can’t upload pics. 

Judy 

Judy,

You've probably already found the Sailrite pdf and video information. In case not, try the following query in google.

sailrite fabricator manual site sailrite.com

20 minutes ago, Tejas said:

Judy,

You've probably already found the Sailrite pdf and video information. In case not, try the following query in google.

sailrite fabricator manual site sailrite.com

Yes,  thanks, I am very familiar with Sailrite.  I have owned one of their portable Ultrafeed  LZ  for over 10 years.  It’s a slow machine, and the bed is small, but it is a real workhorse.  (The LZ is zigzag and straight stitch., optimized for sailmaking, canvas and vinyl work)

Sailrite’s  free lifetime technical support is fantastic. They offer video and phone support.  For example, recently the bobbin winder stopped working completely.  I called to request support.  They asked me for a description of the problem and put me in the support queue.

15 minutes later they emailed me a link to a video on how to fix the exact problem I had described.  The video was very detailed and easy to follow.  The fix and adjustment went smoothly the first try.  

Personally,  I have found find their aftermarket support was worth the premium price on the front end.  

Edited by JudyBSails

I couldn't add pics to my earlier post, so here they are:  The Sailrite Fabricator, Typical GC6-7-D, and the out-of-production Tacsew 111W-155

sailrite-fabricator.jpg

GC6-7-D-1.thumb.jpg.84c0784a8e781dae069484e9ff35034c.jpg

T111155-Tacsew-1.thumb.jpg.9abbbf4b4c286d005a21f3247372ee86.jpg

Edited by JudyB

This is an old thread, I know. But this old information is pretty interesting to new forum members such as myself. I just purchased the fabricator and look forward to learning how to sew with it. I know it’s not the Juki 1541s, but the reason I bought it is the customer service, not so much the equipment. I am new to this skill set and I will need all the help I can reach when I begin my journey down this unsure path I decided to venture down; leathercrafting. Once I feel that I no longer need my hand held, I will probably buy me a cowboy 3200 and and a matching flat bed for the 346 thread. Anyways. I’m excited to get started. I see a lot of scrapped leather aprons in my future.

Edited by webphut

Can I buy presser feet, dogs and othe parts for the Singer 111w155 and bolt them on the sailrite fabricator? Am I understanding this correctly when folks on here mention these machines the fabricator is cloned from? Please correct me on this as I am learning. Is that a standard that all or most the machines follow for practical purposes or no?

Edited by webphut

22 hours ago, webphut said:

Can I buy presser feet, dogs and othe parts for the Singer 111w155 and bolt them on the sailrite fabricator? Am I understanding this correctly when folks on here mention these machines the fabricator is cloned from? Please correct me on this as I am learning. Is that a standard that all or most the machines follow for practical purposes or no?

Yes,the feet will fit ,feed dogs are different,the Consew P1206RB is the same machine just alot less $$ then Sailrite & all the parts interchange.

-->CowboyBob, thank you for the information. There was a time when $500 would have made me or broke me, but I feel like I need more suppot and hand holding while I start this journey. I been watching a lot of you tube videos and my imagination is just blowing up with ideas of projects. I was coming into the trade with just the desire to build leather welding aprons for myself, but now I am really intersted in the canvases and heavy cloths, not only light leather. I had no idea how learnable the projects are, but after watching on youtube, I think it is going to be more so a challenge for me to learn to excersise patience while trying to make some leather and canvas projects. 

On 5/19/2023 at 11:20 PM, CowboyBob said:

Yes,the feet will fit ,feed dogs are different,the Consew P1206RB is the same machine just alot less $$ then Sailrite & all the parts interchange.

Following on from this discussion would i be right in assuming that the Sailrite Sawtooth Presser Foot (singer111 compatible) would fit on a Juki 1341 clone such as the Cowboy 1341 Cylinder Arm machine (singer 111 compatible). The Feed Dog on the Cowboy 1341 is the standard Feed Dog wth teeth that comes with the machine. I want a presser foot with teeth to better sew some fabric and would like the extra grip. Here is a photo of  Sailrite Sawtooth foot and the link is here.. https://www.sailrite.com/Outside-Presser-Foot-for-Sailrite-111 . Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Sawtooth Presser Foot.jpg

7 hours ago, Wills44 said:

Following on from this discussion would i be right in assuming that the Sailrite Sawtooth Presser Foot (singer111 compatible) would fit on a Juki 1341 clone such as the Cowboy 1341 Cylinder Arm machine (singer 111 compatible). The Feed Dog on the Cowboy 1341 is the standard Feed Dog wth teeth that comes with the machine. I want a presser foot with teeth to better sew some fabric and would like the extra grip. Here is a photo of  Sailrite Sawtooth foot and the link is here.. https://www.sailrite.com/Outside-Presser-Foot-for-Sailrite-111 . Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Sawtooth Presser Foot.jpg

Yes,but like I mentioned b4 Sailrite chgs alot for everything.we sell these same feet & have them in stock for $10.00 ea.

On 5/19/2023 at 11:20 PM, CowboyBob said:

8 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

Yes,but like I mentioned b4 Sailrite chgs alot for everything.we sell these same feet & have them in stock for $10.00 ea.

Thanks Bob, I will be in touch. Cheers