Hey y’all!! I’m looking to start a horse tack painting business, and I can’t find much information on the painting part specifically for tack. I don’t want to make my own tack, I just want to buy it wholesale and paint it. I know I need leather paint, the tack needs to already be tooled and all that, but what else do I need to know? Somebody mentioned today at my work that I couldn’t paint already made tack because it was oiled? Is that true? If it is, is there something I can do about it or somewhere I can buy already tooled tack that hasn’t been oiled? All I can find is tack blanks that haven’t been tooled and haven’t been made into the whole piece yet.I painted a tooled belt using regular acrylic paint and have worn it almost daily for a couple months, it it still looks great other than where the buckle holes are. Any help I can get would be great! Thank y’all in advance!!

C3160786-27A5-4744-BFE1-83743D4FE983.jpeg

I don't know anything about wholesale tack but I suggest looking at Angelus paints.  They'd work, even on oiled tack.

It might work if the tack is made from veg tan leather rather than bridle or harness. The latter are infused with oils during the tanning process.  If veg tan, I would use a glaze reducer to remove the finish on top.  Angelis sells a deglazer that seems to work well.  I would also recommend Angelis paint as it is made for painting leather.

Terry

Edited by terrymac