Studio-N

Tandy store closings

Just received that order from Tandy. The postal return was my closest store. Everything I ordered was in there. And their website is back up and running.

On 5/7/2020 at 1:01 PM, Chakotay said:

I'm scheduled to get an online order today. It'll be sad to see their retail stores go away. Hopefully they at least maintain an online presence.

But it does make me wonder how they screwed this up: You're practically the only 'player' in the leather game (yes, I know there's other sources . . . you know what I mean). Was it just mismanagement? Poor quality? Bad customer service? Just a dying craft not enough people are interested in? 

All of the above.  But mainly a dying craft.  Tandy had tried to rectify that by letting go of older folks, and hiring younger people.  But they still focused on western leatherworkers, and almost completely ignored the cos-play and renaissance booms that were happening.  They also tried to make their pricing more transparent by eliminating the tiered pricing levels. But the wholesalers immediately shifted to other suppliers, and the retail gains weren't enough to fill the gap.  

I know a lot of folks don't like TLF, but they've served the leather industry well for a long time, and many of us got our start there.  If they leave the market, given the current trend of aging population, there's not going to be anyone big enough to fill all the gaps.  Big cities will be serviced, but the small shops will all go away.   Considering that they're still in the middle of multi-year leases in many locations, I'd be very surprised if they didn't declare a chapter 11 bankruptcy, restructure their debts (including retirements, if any) and re-open.  That's usually how this kind of story goes. 

3 hours ago, Arturomex said:

I looked at the Lonsdale Leather dye offerings but I haven't tried them. Italian made, I think. They didn't have the color I was looking for but I hope to give them a test before the summer ends.

The Giardini edge finishing system looks interesting. I did some more investigation on their web site and received an email from them this morning touting some new colors. My understanding is that it goes: base coat, paint, top coat. Again, I'd like to test drive it before summer ends.

Have you tried Zelikovitz here: https://www.zelistore.com/

I'm actually waiting right now for a UPS delivery from them. Dye and finish. Had a difficult time finding Fiebings black and wound up having to buy four 4oz bottles for a project I'd like to get finished. Of course, why stop at that? LOL  It's a little early to start stocking up but I figured I might as well start while they still had some product. Hope you can do the same.

Regards,

Arturo

I’ve been using the Giardini edge paints for about a year or more and I really like them.  I posted some test results here comparing them to Angelus and Edge Coat and I think the Giardini paints are better wearing.  They are pricy when you have to ship them from Italy, but they sometimes have specials.  You can also buy them from Campbell Randall here in the US, but last time I bought from them they had limited colors and I think they were only offering them in the 1 liter size - this may have changed by now.

Gary

I complained about the "store location" indicating the El Paso, TX and not being able to change it to the Mobud San Antonio, TX location.  Hear is what "Jeff" wrote back:

"Thank you for your email. A lot of our store locations have been removed from our site during this time as they are closed and not able to process orders or converse with customers. El Paso is the store answering their store phone at this time. All other store calls are being transferred to Fort Worth while stores are close."

Just one more tidbit in fueling the closure rumor.

1 hour ago, garypl said:

I’ve been using the Giardini edge paints for about a year or more and I really like them.  I posted some test results here comparing them to Angelus and Edge Coat and I think the Giardini paints are better wearing.  They are pricy when you have to ship them from Italy, but they sometimes have specials.  You can also buy them from Campbell Randall here in the US, but last time I bought from them they had limited colors and I think they were only offering them in the 1 liter size - this may have changed by now.

Gary

Thanks, Gary. Appreciate that.

Regards,

Arturo

24 minutes ago, micktx said:

I complained about the "store location" indicating the El Paso, TX and not being able to change it to the Mobud San Antonio, TX location.  Hear is what "Jeff" wrote back:

"Thank you for your email. A lot of our store locations have been removed from our site during this time as they are closed and not able to process orders or converse with customers. El Paso is the store answering their store phone at this time. All other store calls are being transferred to Fort Worth while stores are close."

Just one more tidbit in fueling the closure rumor.

Yeah, I had a similar experience but I actually talked to a young lady in El Paso who told me almost word for word what you read in "Jeff's" email.

Problem is, with all the pandemic shutdowns it's hard to know why stores are closed. Shutting down or just dealing with the Covid 19 protocols? And it's not like I can call my closest store and ask. LOL

I wonder what the situation will be like for "unbranded" Tandy stores. You know the kind I mean. Operating under a different name than Tandy but still stocking Tandy tools, stamps etc. Are they supplied by TLF or do they deal with the manufacturers directly?

And what of Sailrite? Will they keep selling the now discontinued Stitchmaster machine? At least people who bought that will have a source for parts and whatnot.

I think Alexander summed it up well. I remember going to the Tandy store over 50 years ago and I'd hate to see them disappear. I suspect his prediction is pretty accurate.

Regards,

Arturo

Yeah, I wonder what will happen to the Tandy stamps, which are, to my understanding, inherited from Stohlman, if Tandy goes under. Not ready to buy the pricey Barry Kings.

8 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Irritating too that the Pro dyes can't be sent by CanPost (more dangerous stuff is shipped, I reckon, but... ah well).

My supplier,   Birdsall Leather in NSW Australia, will ship dyes , sealers etc. with or without alcohol   but not sealers similar to ' Neat-Lac' , too dangerous.   DOH !! But  other companies  will ship more dangerous stuff out, like adhesives,   go figure? 

HS 

On 5/15/2020 at 4:25 PM, Hardrada said:

. Irritating too that the Pro dyes can't be sent by CanPost (more dangerous stuff is shipped, I reckon, but... ah well).

Lately , Tandy is using Purolator most of the time ,unless your order is shipped to a PO box ...so you shouldn't have any issues having those pro dies shipped to you

On 5/15/2020 at 5:01 PM, garypl said:

Gary

The Buckle Guy also sells the Giardini paints (www.buckleguy.com) and the smaller containers that are branded with the Buckle Guy name are made for them by Giardini.  Give it a look and see what he can offer you.

5 hours ago, NVLeatherWorx said:

The Buckle Guy also sells the Giardini paints (www.buckleguy.com) and the smaller containers that are branded with the Buckle Guy name are made for them by Giardini.  Give it a look and see what he can offer you.

Will do Richard - thanks!

On 5/15/2020 at 9:13 PM, Arturomex said:

Yeah, I had a similar experience but I actually talked to a young lady in El Paso who told me almost word for word what you read in "Jeff's" email.

Problem is, with all the pandemic shutdowns it's hard to know why stores are closed. Shutting down or just dealing with the Covid 19 protocols? And it's not like I can call my closest store and ask. LOL

I wonder what the situation will be like for "unbranded" Tandy stores. You know the kind I mean. Operating under a different name than Tandy but still stocking Tandy tools, stamps etc. Are they supplied by TLF or do they deal with the manufacturers directly?

And what of Sailrite? Will they keep selling the now discontinued Stitchmaster machine? At least people who bought that will have a source for parts and whatnot.

I think Alexander summed it up well. I remember going to the Tandy store over 50 years ago and I'd hate to see them disappear. I suspect his prediction is pretty accurate.

Regards,

Arturo

I seen the Stitchmaster was on closeout so I jumped on it. I ordered it on 5/13/20 and it came in on 5/15/20, I've been pleased with it so far. 

I know the Stichmaster is a Sailrite LS-1 and parts are interchangeable. I had already planned on ordering parts from the factory instead of TFL anyhow. 

16 hours ago, lcso7 said:

I seen the Stitchmaster was on closeout so I jumped on it. I ordered it on 5/13/20 and it came in on 5/15/20, I've been pleased with it so far. 

I know the Stichmaster is a Sailrite LS-1 and parts are interchangeable. I had already planned on ordering parts from the factory instead of TFL anyhow. 

Yeah,, I jumped on that too here in Canada. Received a confirmation of the order and all. Was doing some banking yesterday and noticed it hadn't been charged to my credit card. Did a little more investigating and found Tandy had cancelled my order. No notice. No explanation. Just cancelled.

I've put up with erratic leather quality and a lot of other shenanigans over the years with Tandy but this is the straw that broke the camel's back. I'm pretty much done with them now. They have one hardware item I like that I'll keep purchasing but if/when I find it somewhere else I'll switch and be done with them completely. There are a lot of online vendors that I think deserve my business and money more than Tandy does.

Regards,

Arturo

On 5/2/2020 at 1:52 PM, Studio-N said:

I drove by the Dallas store today. It is closed, empty, and the sign is down so there is truth to the rumors. The Mesquite store is still there although closed despite being allowed to open starting yesterday. Phoenix,Austin, Ny, St. Leonard are suppose to follow suit Monday although no formal announcement from TLF damagement. I'm guessing they are busy with all the lawsuits right now.

Tandy in Las Vegas closed but the Texas home office, I assume, is sending me stuff just about as fast.  It would be a shame if closings were more serious than C19 temporary conditions.  Though I am at a point of looking for more upgraded hardware I rely on Tandy for a lot of the items they have. 

On 5/15/2020 at 2:42 PM, Arturomex said:

Have you tried Zelikovitz here: https://www.zelistore.com/

I'm actually waiting right now for a UPS delivery from them. Dye and finish. Had a difficult time finding Fiebings black and wound up having to buy four 4oz bottles for a project I'd like to get finished. Of course, why stop at that? LOL  It's a little early to start stocking up but I figured I might as well start while they still had some product. Hope you can do the same.

Ahoi!

Placed an order with Zelikovitz. First complaint: I chose CanadaPost shipping and they shipped it via UPS anyway. WTH? I decided to pay the extra $5 because UPS sux: they take forever to ship and most of the time have delay shenanigans ("reasons beyond our control", "adverse weather" [when it's clear], and other BS). Not happy: but maybe it was because most of the order were liquids: leather balm, edge kotes. Weird.

An FYI, I drove by my local Tandy store this afternoon. The signs were gone and inventory removed. I was basically just a shell.

35 minutes ago, Mustangdave said:

An FYI, I drove by my local Tandy store this afternoon. The signs were gone and inventory removed. I was basically just a shell.

Which location was that?  Current indicators are that they have closed 8 stores. They are negotiating with their landlords and vendors to get out of others.

1 hour ago, Studio-N said:

Which location was that?  Current indicators are that they have closed 8 stores. They are negotiating with their landlords and vendors to get out of others.

Richmond VA

Its a bit of an ominous sign that all these outlets are closing.

Is there anyone on here that works for Tandy?  Or is now a ' former' employee  as a result of these recent closures, would be good to get some clarification on whats going on? 

HS

I believe we're overthinking the whole Tandy "situation" . This is  one of the biggest companies  out  there when it comes to leather , leather tools and hardware , leather dies and pretty much everything else needed to get you into leather craft , all under one roof . They got rid of their membership fees , dropped  prices and some of us took that as a bad sign. They are rolling out a new web-site  and closed down less that 10% of their stores during a pandemic and that's somehow a bad sign...unless those were the overperforming stores bringing in huge profits

They've been around for 100 years  taking pride in interacting 1 on 1 with their  customers  ,  offering  classes in pretty much all of their locations ...i think it's unlikely Tandy will switch to an online business model.

I've been shopping with Tandy for about 20 years and my good experiences, overshadow the bad ones by a mile . As far as i am concerned , i am not ready to write them off yet , based on their current situation.But than again , bigger companies out there went under , some of them  even without any warnings . I guess time will tell but i am not gonna waste my time "reading the signs"

Edited by LeatherLegion

The trouble is as far as I can see it , that buyers are moving online at a massive rate, some towns were lucky to have a shop which was the traditional way of selling your goods, but a massive calling on stock held especially in say the US where the distance to restock are vast

This virus has woken up all companies that cash in the bank is king, and holding millions in stock of slow moving items is poor management and added to that staffing costs not just in the store but the head office support teams cost mega bucks yet alone rent and rates

Nearly everyone on this forum either buys something online or sells online so that's the obvious way for Tandy to go

They can also make video's of all training and make them available online for convenience, not the same as one to one but can be a more professional format 

Just my thoughts, I guess that many of you also brought your sewing machines online as well

I just sent an email to tandy and told them to pound sand

they changed the price of shipping to a straight $12.00 charge on all sales under $100.00

I was not aware of this and had a pattern in my cart.  on check out. up pops $12.00 for shipping an envelope a $0.50 stamp would take care of?

I deleted my order and sent them a grumpy email

went over to the Steckstore   bought the same exact same thing and was charged $2.00 shipping  

2 hours ago, Frodo said:

they changed the price of shipping to a straight $12.00 charge on all sales under $100.00

perhaps this is their version of a  Corona Virus surcharge.