dprezgay

Leather Tool Storage

I was going to wait until I cleaned my garage before I took these photos, but based on past history it is going to be a while. 

I'm not a collector in the sense that I want all the really old stuff.  I just want to collect all the 2D/3D stamps, 2d/3d stamp sets, alphabet sets, handle stamp sets and a bunch of zodiac stamp sets.  It all started by my desire to have a huge selection of stamp option available for the Scout and other Youth Groups I was doing classes for.  After a while I decided that the kids were too "careless" with the stamps so I started to separate my tools from the tools I used for the kid classes.  But I got tired of going through the stacks of boxes to find the stamp I was looking for.  

This is my current solution.

They call this kind of cabinet a lot of different names.  Blueprint Cabinet, Map Cabinet, Art Drawers, flat file cabinet, etc.  I picked up these three 5-drawer cabinets from craigslist for $200.  They came with a custom made, very heavy duty and UGLY wheeled cart.  I actually like mismatched colors of the cabinets.  

All the 2d/3d stamps are in numerical order by manufacturer.  I even left spaces for stamps that were not made or I do not have yet.  So ideally, each box contains 25 stamps each.  The stamps that are in the space usually used for the stamp handle, are stamps that have duplicate numbers.  I am in the process of creating a database of stamps that I can sort by category like Western, Sports, Native American, etc...  That way I can print photos of the category and select a stamp from it, instead of looking through all the boxes to decide on a stamp image.  Yes, I am anal retentive.  I was an accountant.  

The alphabet sets are sorted by font with the larger sets in the rear and smaller sets up front.  I think I have all of the alphabets sets, except a Russian set I saw online but can't seem to find anywhere to buy.  I also think there is a 3/8" and 1/2" Old English Alphabet and Number sets but am not sure.

I have a lot of mallets with more on the bench. I have to sort through them but they do get used when my kid's friends come over and want to do some stamping.  

There is a drawer that contains the Handle Stamp sets and Zodiac sets.  I think I have all the Handle Stamp Sets and there is 10 different zodiac sets.  Both traditional and Chinese sets.  I am missing one stamp from one of the sets (the black ones in the bottom right of the photo) and will have to get it made. 

The drawer that contains the 2d/3d stamp sets is complete (I believe) and also includes the smaller, individual stamps that Tandy currently sells.

There is another drawer that has most of the other tools in it, i.e. setters, cutting tools, edgers, etc...  But I chose not to show it until it is organized.

I'd show my workbench, but I can't get to it at the moment.  

The rest of my tools will eventually make their way to the cabinet to the right of this one.

Most of the tools I have are the rather inexpensive varieties by Tandy, Midas, Barontool, Basic tools, etc.. and most were purchased on ebay, craigslist and other sites that sell used tools.  With few exceptions, any of the high-end tools and stamps I ended up with, I have re-sold to help pay for the 2 sets of tools that I use for the classes.  

I already know what you are thinking.  I have way more than I need.  And to tell you the truth, way more tools than my skill level.  But I still have less than I want.  

Storage Cabinet.jpg

Alphabet Drawer 1.JPG

Alphabet Drawer 2.JPG

Alphabet Drawer 3.JPG

3D Stamps 1.JPG

3D Stamps 2.JPG

3D Stamps 3.JPG

3D Stamps 4.JPG

2D Stamp Sets.JPG

Handle Stamps and Zodiac.JPG

Mallets.JPG

That is a lot of stamps.  I have a collection of stamps but not near what you have. I have a set of alphabet stamps that look like logs to make the letters.  My wife bought it for me on our first Christmas together in 1976.  I just wondered if you have that set. I couldn't tell from the pictures.  Real nice display of stamps and tools.

Nice collection and post. 

Enjoy getting your tools and don't think it's excessive. This is your hobby and if you can afford it you may as well buy the things you want.  Now the trick is not to sell them.  Just like my guns, I wish I still had most of the ones I sold over the years.

Nice collection. Nothing wrong with collecting, once I get interested in something I have a tendency to start collecting. Unfortunately.

1 hour ago, dikman said:

Nice collection. Nothing wrong with collecting, once I get interested in something I have a tendency to start collecting. Unfortunately.

Lol

Me too. Which is why i will never be rich!

but at least I am happy:)

Wonderful....

15 hours ago, AzShooter said:

Enjoy getting your tools and don't think it's excessive. This is your hobby and if you can afford it you may as well buy the things you want.  Now the trick is not to sell them.  Just like my guns, I wish I still had most of the ones I sold over the years.

I do enjoy collecting them.  But my M.O. is that I get really interested in something and start collecting the tools, supplies, whatever and lose interest in using them.  If I've done more than about 2 dozen leather projects over the last 12 years, I'd be surprised.  The only leatherworking  i have done over the last 4-5 years is teaching Leatherwork Merit Badge classes and Cub Scout Day Camps.  

The last few years I have been thinking of selling it all and getting back into woodworking.  Which was a hobby I had in the early 2000's and sold it all to start a catering business.  Which I lost interest in and sold the equipment and started collecting dishes, which I lost interest in and started the leatherwork thing.  Who knows.  I only need 5 stamps to complete my collection.  I'll make my decision then.

20 hours ago, Rohn said:

That is a lot of stamps.  I have a collection of stamps but not near what you have. I have a set of alphabet stamps that look like logs to make the letters.  My wife bought it for me on our first Christmas together in 1976.  I just wondered if you have that set. I couldn't tell from the pictures.  Real nice display of stamps and tools

Yes, I have both the 1/2" and 3/4" sizes in the Log Alphabet sets.  

That can be a problem too. Sometimes the collecting itself becomes the challenge. When I got interested in blacksmithing many years ago I needed an anvil, so I bought one. And another, and another, and.......I have six (!) but fortunately they became hard to find, and expensive, which stopped me.

I forgot to mention that I like the sets of drawers, very useful indeed.

4 hours ago, dikman said:

That can be a problem too. Sometimes the collecting itself becomes the challenge. When I got interested in blacksmithing many years ago I needed an anvil, so I bought one. And another, and another, and.......I have six (!) but fortunately they became hard to find, and expensive, which stopped me.

I forgot to mention that I like the sets of drawers, very useful indeed.

I looked for years for a solution and saw these  types of drawers as a possibility.  But I never actually saw one in person.  When I finally went to see some, I took a bunch of leather tools to see how they would fit.  I was surprised to see it all did.  The major drawback is that approximately 1/4 to 1/3 of the rear of the drawers are not really accessible since the drawers are not full extension drawers.  And the cabinet has a large footprint.  There is a smaller size available, but this works for me right now.  Of course, if I had woodworking tools, I could make custom cabinets and custom racks.  A Catch 22

Very nice setup. I happen to have 2 of those cabinets. I've been using them for maps and junk  . I think once we move ill use them for my leather tools too. Currently they are in many tool boxes all over the garage. They are big but it would be nice to have everything in one place.

8 hours ago, ehvhram said:

Very nice setup. I happen to have 2 of those cabinets. I've been using them for maps and junk  . I think once we move ill use them for my leather tools too. Currently they are in many tool boxes all over the garage. They are big but it would be nice to have everything in one place.

Other than a custom made tool chest, these drawers are the best.  They hold so much.  I still need to organize the lower drawers better.  Once I get the garage cleaned out I will set up the workbench and maybe make some custom racks for my 2D/3D stamps and stamp sets.  Maybe some foam inserts so I know where everything goes.