Cassie00

Leather Painting

I posted this on another forum, but I didn’t get any responses. I figured I probably just posted it in the wrong spot! I’m wanting to start a tack painting business, but I want to have all the information before I get started. I want to buy already made, tooled tack, and use leather paint to paint it. Somebody at work mentioned to me that you can’t just paint already made tack because it’s been oiled? Is this true and if it is, is there anything I can do about it, or do I have to make my own tack to be able to paint it? Any help I can get or any other information I need to know would be great! Thanks in advance!!

You might be able to partner up with a maker that makes it and paint and get the pieces, paint then and either return them for finishing or finish them out your self.

1 hour ago, Cassie00 said:

Somebody at work mentioned to me that you can’t just paint already made tack because it’s been oiled? 

Paint will not adhere to oiled leather. Is best put on before the leather is re-oiled after tooling

1 hour ago, Cassie00 said:

Is this true and if it is, is there anything I can do about it, or do I have to make my own tack to be able to paint it? 

Find someone you can work with who will do the tooling but not put any any oil or other finish on it. You can do that after painting it

I’ve done a little more research on it, and I read some people say to use a deglazer to get the finish off? Is that something that could work?

No. That only removes the top finish, not the oils within the leather. You need dry leather for the paints to soak in.