Frodo

whip stitch

I am making elk/deer/pig skin lined holsters and have noticed that on MY holster. the liner is prone to come loose at the edge where the gun enters the holster

I THINK. [time will tell}  I ave solved that problem using a whip stitch  

Come SEE

20200503_095041.jpg

whip_stitch.png

Edited by Frodo

Just a plain saddle stitch should be used whenever you have a liner. Your whip stitch is gonna take a lot of abuse and break I fear. Basically I stitch the entire perimeter of holster if lined. 

1 hour ago, Frodo said:

I am making elk/deer/pig skin lined holsters and have noticed that on MY holster. the liner is prone to come loose at the edge where the gun enters the holster

I THINK. [time will tell}  I ave solved that problem using a whip stitch  

Come SEE

20200503_095041.jpg

whip_stitch.png

2 hours ago, Mattsbagger said:

Just a plain saddle stitch should be used whenever you have a liner. Your whip stitch is gonna take a lot of abuse and break I fear. Basically I stitch the entire perimeter of holster if lined. 

Agreed. It may delay the liner coming loose but the stitches will get torn up pretty quick and look worse than a loose liner when they do. It appears you either apply a second layer of glue before you stick the liner on to give it a better bond (barge and most contact adhesives actually normally advise to do 2 coats, letting dry to non tacky between each coat, to each surface). Also your stitch to edge distance could be reduced by probably half, which will increase the hold the stitches have on helping prevent the edge from coming free. Normally i aim for 3-4mm stitch to edge distance, with same distance between stitching lines if do double as you have. As well as what is your edge finishing process? A good slicked edge then finished with beeswax and canvas should do a really good job at creating a stiff edge that has the liner and exterior leather sealed together with the wax and be long wearing.

I have an old El Paso Saddlery poster that is lined, pig skin I think.  They brought the liner over the edge of the veg tan.  A side view of the holster shows the liner wrapped over the edge of the veg tan and then its stitched.  If I can find where it's hidden I'll take a picture.

Scootch

Agree with all the above.

But now that you have it made; hammer down those stitches, then add lots of bees wax on the insides ones. I mean, a lot of beeswax. Then really rub that wax into the thread and leather. Use a bone folder, tip of an antler or bit of  rib bone to get in there. You want to end up with an almost smooth surface, that its hard for your finger to feel the bumps made by the thread.