chuck123wapati

made a new skive knife

Well I had to spoil myself a bit, it has a a bit of haze on the blade but non paying customers don't get the new sanding belts lol. Posted a few pics

skive2.JPG

skive3.JPG

skive4.JPG

Edited by chuck123wapati

more pics

skive5.JPG

skive6.JPG

Very nice!!!  What did you do on the spine?  Very cool!

59 minutes ago, bland said:

Very nice!!!  What did you do on the spine?  Very cool!

Thank you I added some ornamental hand file work just for fun makes it look like I know what i'm doin lol.

Very nice.

Looking at that knife, I wouldn't say it just looks like you know what you are doing.  You know what you are doing. 

Looks like maybe two files a round file and triangle file?   

Great job. I would hate to own one like that because it would be the one I drop and I hope it wouldn't be the one I catch.

Very nice work, Chuck. Stag handles, brass bolsters, polished blade - bit over the top for a skiving knife!!!:lol:

I've got a partially built gas forge but never got around to finishing it 'cos I just like messing around with the coke forge too much. I mainly need to make the burner, I suppose I should finish it one day.:rolleyes2:

Now you've got me thinking I should make another round knife just so I can fit stag handles, they just look cool.:)

1 hour ago, bland said:

Looking at that knife, I wouldn't say it just looks like you know what you are doing.  You know what you are doing. 

Looks like maybe two files a round file and triangle file?   

yup Round and triangle 

19 minutes ago, dikman said:

Very nice work, Chuck. Stag handles, brass bolsters, polished blade - bit over the top for a skiving knife!!!:lol:

I've got a partially built gas forge but never got around to finishing it 'cos I just like messing around with the coke forge too much. I mainly need to make the burner, I suppose I should finish it one day.:rolleyes2:

Now you've got me thinking I should make another round knife just so I can fit stag handles, they just look cool.:)

Thanks yea it came out pretty nice, much better than my ground down putty knife and about 60 on the hardness scale. Would love to have a coke forge I live in coal country. If you need pics of my burner let me know I did a lot of research and then built one that will run naturally aspirated or with a blower. and its super easy to build.  It'll turn regular fire brick into a puddle of glass lol. 

1 hour ago, machinehead said:

Great job. I would hate to own one like that because it would be the one I drop and I hope it wouldn't be the one I catch.

thank you

Chuck, I would really appreciate the info on the burner, it could save me a lot of time trying to figure one out.:specool:

As you probably already know a coal/coke forge isn't that complicated to build (heck, I did it) but a lot of knifemakers don't like them because they're messy and can be tricky to control the heat. Plus they need a bit of work when running, if the clinkers buildup in the bottom you suddenly start losing heat and end up with a molten mass of gunk around the fire grate which can contaminate steel. But there's nothing quite like the smell.

Chuck I have an extra coal forge if you are interested I can send some pictures tomorrow.  Once the hysteria dies down we could figure out how to get together. 

Todd

11 hours ago, dikman said:

Chuck, I would really appreciate the info on the burner, it could save me a lot of time trying to figure one out.:specool:

As you probably already know a coal/coke forge isn't that complicated to build (heck, I did it) but a lot of knifemakers don't like them because they're messy and can be tricky to control the heat. Plus they need a bit of work when running, if the clinkers buildup in the bottom you suddenly start losing heat and end up with a molten mass of gunk around the fire grate which can contaminate steel. But there's nothing quite like the smell.

I'll take a few pictures for you and write up the specs. They are a lot cleaner and easier to fire up for small jobs like hardening blades and such. 

7 hours ago, Frodo said:

forge 2 002.JPG

forge blower 002.JPG

celtic.png

marble.png

This is a pretty nice build is this yours?

9 hours ago, Hildebrand said:

Chuck I have an extra coal forge if you are interested I can send some pictures tomorrow.  Once the hysteria dies down we could figure out how to get together. 

Todd

Heck yea I would like that shoot me some pics.

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

This is a pretty nice build is this yours?

It was mine,  i built it.  Then i had to sell it because my COPD got worse.  I can no longer play in the fire because of the smoke is killing me

if you scrounge around you can build one for next to nothing.  I had to buy the flange and the 24''x2'' nipple.  the rest was freebie stuff.

junk yards are my playground. lol  

burner?

take the burner out of a heating unit, remove the regulator   and hook it up to a propane tank using a high pressure regulater

re drill the orifice if needed to  a 3/16  hole

if you need a burner and propane hose with regulator.  i have one

Really nice work on your skiving knife!

5 hours ago, DaveP said:

Really nice work on your skiving knife!

Thank you

5 hours ago, Frodo said:

It was mine,  i built it.  Then i had to sell it because my COPD got worse.  I can no longer play in the fire because of the smoke is killing me

if you scrounge around you can build one for next to nothing.  I had to buy the flange and the 24''x2'' nipple.  the rest was freebie stuff.

junk yards are my playground. lol  

That's to bad you had to quit, think about a propane one they don't smoke.

9 hours ago, Frodo said:

burner?

take the burner out of a heating unit, remove the regulator   and hook it up to a propane tank using a high pressure regulater

re drill the orifice if needed to  a 3/16  hole

if you need a burner and propane hose with regulator.  i have one

Frodo, if you're referring to me, thanks for the offer mate but as I'm in Australia the shipping would be a killer! Chuck sent me the info to get mine working so another little project........:).

Gorgeous work man! Love the way you Did the Transition From the horn to bolster to blade, very “ Organic“ beautiful flow to it.  the file work is A nice touch (And came out great),  not something you see much these days, and your right it definitely makes it look like you know what you’re doing .

2 hours ago, Chef niloc said:

Gorgeous work man! Love the way you Did the Transition From the horn to bolster to blade, very “ Organic“ beautiful flow to it.  the file work is A nice touch (And came out great),  not something you see much these days, and your right it definitely makes it look like you know what you’re doing .

Thank you ! I appreciate that.