mtown

Stockmen's Plaited Belt (Flat 10-strand)

Hi all,

Posted this in 'Critique my work' before realising that it might be better suited here. Not sure if there's a difference between braiding/plaiting or whether it's just a regional difference.

Full album: https://imgur.com/a/Wmh78QF

funpp7K.jpg

Followed Ron Edwards' book (https://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/PREBSPBw/Stockmans-Plaited-Belts/pd.php) and the instructions for a 'Flat 10 Strand', using Maroon 4.7 mm Kangaroo lace.

Overall pretty happy with it, but hoping there may be someone here with some experience or tips, as there isn't much out there.

Challenges:

• Really struggled for consistency when bending the lace back into the plait on the edges - sometimes it would 'curve' or bend nicely, other times it would kink and there'd be no fixing it as the roo lace is so thin.
  • You need to maintain tension to get a tight weave, but again because of the thin lace this creates tension creasing.

Things to improve next time:

• I used Golden Mink oil to re-hydrate the finished product, but I think next time I'll use the oil on the individual strands before plaiting to encourage a smoother/less creased result.
  • The belt ended up being 3 cm wide, so too feminine to use for myself, but my wife seems to like it! I assume I need to either up the strand count or use a heavier lace for a wider more masculine belt.
  • I'll go for the two ring style, rather than the buckle next time.

Keen for feedback and tips!

3 hours ago, jasj said:

Cheers Jim,

yes I was actually planning on doing exactly that at the Aussie Leather Crafters Gathering in March before they had to cancel it!

Any others you’d recommend?

mtown, there are few options for workshops at present, but Birdsall's in Sydney or Leffler's in Melbourne are worth a try once things get back to 'normal'. I am in northern Vic, and am a member of Goulburn  Valley Leathercrafters, but we are not meeting at present either.

Keep plaiting 

Jim