Rylando

Landis 3 in 1/Landis 5 in 1 Skiving blade replacement?

Hi I recently purchased a Landis 3 in 1, and it did not come with the skiving blade? It seems it is the same blade as the 5 in 1?  I found it on only one supplier (http://www.shoesystemsplus.com/Landis-5-in1-Flat-Skiving-Blade_p_503.html) and I'm wondering does anyone know of alternate suppliers? I am having a hard time coughing up $60 for this blade and another $15 to ship it. 

Thanks.

They will probably be the cheapest source.  That is a specialty blade made to last a very long time, so the money will be well-spent, FWIW.

Edited by johnv474

If you have a local shoe repair person, check with them.  They might be able to either help you out or point you in the direction of some place a bit cheaper.

I asked my local cobbler here if he could get me one a few years back for my Rodi and he said it would cost €60, I like you did not want to cough up €60 because i am not a cobbler and do not skive welts etc. so i kept an eye out on the net and a few months later found a unused one on Ebay for.......€15.

I just measured the blade in my 5-in-1.  It's 1 3/4" wide, 2 1/2" long and 1/8" thick.  Lee Valley has a small bevel-up smooth plane replacement blade that is 1 3/4" wide and 1/8" thick.  It will need to be trimmed of course.  It'll save you about $15 in price.  Don't know what shipping will run you.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop/tools/hand-tools/planes/blades/101598-1-3-4-inch-blades-for-veritas-small-bevel-up-smooth-plane.

I don´t know what the Landis type is like, but the Rodi has a bevel on each side. I tried doing the same with a plane blade, maybe a thinner one compared to the pictured lee valley blade, but the edge broke on me when i ran the leather through, so i gave up that idea??

RODI_50_SL_Motor2_01.thumb.jpg.504e583669bd76be702148dfa756ba40.jpg

Thanks for the replies! Looks like I'll just have to order it and live with the price lol. Atleast the machine itself was a deal! 

The blades were apparently sold on Amazon at one time, but I can't find one there anymore. Oh well!