Ipad1a.png.83878c74f4f07735d584a504982e081c.png

I find that my clients are very creative and sometimes have more interesting ideas than do I...so I go with it!  When the young woman saw my standard 11" I-Pad Pro case in traditional Mahogany with Black trim she immediately asked if I could make her one in Pink with a Hair-on Cowhide Main flap.  "Of course I can" I said!   As the details of the project unfolded I suggested Blue trim, the rest was hers.  It took a lot of hours to actualize the end results but it was fun and since I'm only 3 years into this leather thing I considered it a learning experience.  Aren't they all?    BTW:  The pockets hold a special compact charger and charging cables and the zipper tube holds the writing stick.

Silverd

Ipad2a.png

Ipad6a.png

Ipad4a.png

Edited by Silverd
image and grammer correction

Wow, that' a really great design. 

Really awesome!  Where'd you get that pink tho?

YinTx

12 hours ago, YinTx said:

Really awesome!  Where'd you get that pink tho?

YinTx

Ebay and Amazon both sell leather paint in rattle cans.  Mfg is Brillo.  Small cans run about $10.00ea.  I use white to help cover then pink over the top as a final coat.

Silverd

12 hours ago, maxdaddy said:

Wow, that' a really great design. 

Thank you

I love the design and the colors! Perfection!

1 hour ago, hashtagartz said:

I love the design and the colors! Perfection!

Thank you!  Much appreciated

Silverd

That's great work

12 hours ago, Silverd said:

Ebay and Amazon both sell leather paint in rattle cans.  Mfg is Brillo.  Small cans run about $10.00ea.  I use white to help cover then pink over the top as a final coat.

I would have never guessed paint!  How does it hold up?

YinTx

2 hours ago, YinTx said:

YinTx

I'll let you know.  The fragility factor of the product has been a concern from the start.  I've not had too much previous experience with cow hair skin and even less with painting leather but I gave her a one year warranty should it all go south.  The quality of the paint appeared to be excellent...and for the cost it should be.  I spray lots on leather including stains, clear coats, adhesive, water, goofproof and now paint.  So far so good.

Silverd

Pink is absolutely not my thing but you did a great job!  I'm sure the customer is thrilled!

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 7:23 PM, YinTx said:

YinTx

20200328_124339[1].jpg

That is awesome.  I know some folks that are gonna love pink!  Do you put any oil on the leather before the paint, or will it soak in after the paint?

YinTx

Excellent work.

19 hours ago, YinTx said:

That is awesome.  I know some folks that are gonna love pink!  Do you put any oil on the leather before the paint, or will it soak in after the paint?

YinTx

In this case I applied white color Brillo paint as a color "Primer" as it seemed to cover better.  The paint appears to be of good quality and applies easily; it also blends well so there was no evidence of over spray.  The first coat really soaks into the leather so I dont think that pealing will be an issue. Did not apply oil. The leather I was using is a Tandy's Superior Oak Veg Tan in the 5-6oz range and was plenty supple with out additional conditioning.  The Pockets are made from Herman Oak and I wanted these with some temper to resist collapsing during user handling...so no oil on them either.   I applied three coats of pain in total if I recall and did some patching of three extra needle holes by gluing into each hole a sliver of leather, then trimming it and sanding it smooth and respraying that effected area.  Similar to repairing a car fender!  Can hardly tell the accident occurred.  I give the VOCs of the previously applied paint layer a chance to evaporate before applying the next layer. But did not let it dry completely.  I think it is referred to as being open.  This is done so that the 2nd layers chemically bond to the previous coat.  if the previous coat was to dry completely then it would be a good idea to sand the surface first which provides a profile for the new paint to grab onto.  I think multiple thin coats are better than one thick coat.   Its pretty basic stuff and was quite easy.  Surprisingly nice results.  I had issues with a lot of the design and execution elements of this project but the paint was not one of them.  I don't know if the paint will allow oil to pass as it was much thicker than the clear acrylics that I also use over stained leather.  More experimenting is required.  Good Luck!

Silverd

@Silverd, thank you so much for the details.  Will save me a lot of experimenting and heart ache when I do it!

YinTx

On 5/8/2020 at 8:41 PM, YinTx said:

@Silverd, thank you so much for the details.  Will save me a lot of experimenting and heart ache when I do it!

YinTx

Good luck.  Have fun!

Silverd