wheeldawg

Leather envelop for mailing a letter back and forth

I want to make a leather envelope to be reused for myself and a friend to send letters back and forth.

I can make the envelope easy enough, and even have a method/appropriate materials in place for swapping addresses in the TO and FROM locations as well as something for postage to be adheared too.

My problem is, how do I make something that wont get opened? A leather cord wrap would keep it closed, but would not be secure.

Any ideas on how I could keep it secure and flat?

I thought of molding in a small rectangular shaped box with slots to hold a combination lock, but that would be kind of bulky.

Let me know if you have some ideas.

Thanks

7 minutes ago, wheeldawg said:

how do I make something that wont get opened? ... Any ideas on how I could keep it secure and flat?

Something like this is what comes to mind.

65028.jpg

Thats what I had in mind too.

When I worked in the Royal Mail we used to get pouches coming through which were made of stout PVC with a zip along one edge - just like the above - at one end there was a sewn in metal loop and a metal wire was looped from the zip pull to it and a lead seal crimped on. We had money transfer bags which were similar construction but very much bigger and for personal courier delivery only.

edit to add; I forgot to say  that the address label was enclosed by a frame, sewn onto one front side, like you find on luggage tags, but was only accessible from the inside of the pouch

Edited by fredk

Any idea on a supplier for that zipper lock gizmo?  Pretty neat!  Did anyone else think, 'Handgun case'?

God bless

Thanks folks.

I was hoping to avoid the bulkiness of a lock and make it look like a regular, maybe Christmas card type, envelope.

I had first thought of just putting a lock clasp on the flap, but again, wanted it to look as much like a regular envelope as I could get.

I have seen some with snap closures, which would probably work OK, I guess.

Its not like I'll be sending secret messages, and tampering with mail is a federal offense and all that, so that may be my best bet.

I was hoping for some type of very flat secure closure though.

Maybe something like attached would work too. Didn't see how to embed photo.

Thanks again.

clasp lock.jpg

https://pe.usps.com/businessmail101?ViewName=Letters

I would check out the link above.  I tried to find specific information on what materials are OK, but came up empty.  I'm wondering whether the leather envelope, no matter the size, will be a lot more costly to mail if it cannot be processed like a "regular" paper envelope.

There might be a way to reach out to the USPS to get clarification.  I would find out if you can even do it before proceeding too far down the path.

1 hour ago, Tugadude said:

There might be a way to reach out to the USPS to get clarification.  I would find out if you can even do it before proceeding too far down the path.

A few years ago one of my coworkers retired, and to celebrate he went to Hawaii. To rub it in, he sent us greetings engraved on a coconut. It arrived by USPS, but was certainly outside of the first class letter rate for size and weight. Probably considered a parcel, which uses a different set of rules and rates.

That's a great story!  I just think it would be good for the OP to know exactly what they are getting into.  If they are going to have to pay a huge premium as compared to standard letter rates, it would be helpful to know in advance.

Or perhaps a 'button and string' envelope with a wax seal added?

il_fullxfull.446625519_91px.jpg

Rubber cement will hold as well as regular envelope's gummed seal.  if it needs more, have a few holes you can stitch through, like on a button.

Thin Velcro could also work. 

Be aware that postage will cost you m9te because leather envelopes are not made to be processed in postal facilities.

Also, don't be surprised if the envelope disappears after enough people see a leather envelope and decide they'd like one.  Use certified mail, put the whole thing into another envelope.