I know I've seen them someplace, but does anyone know where I can find quick change Western stirrup leather buckles like those used on Harris (and a few other brands') saddles? I found some similar (imports) by Tough-1, but those appear to be plated hardware and I'm looking for something more durable that won't rust, probably stainless steel.

Worst case scenario is I replace the old Al Ray buckles with Blevins, but my hands are telling me no. I've really developed a dislike for them.

I'm also trying to find replacement pins for an old set of stirrup leathers - the kind that had a peg through each hole, then something similar to a blanket pin went through them. I can't for the life of me remember what they were called, or who made them. I used to see them in old catalogs, and every once in awhile on eBay, but I haven't seen any for years. I'm old enough to remember when they were still sold in tack stores! I'm trying to replace some old corroded ones, just for the sake of keeping the saddle original.

Any help is much appreciated!

Harris-Roughout-Fenders.jpg

Sounds like the 2nd set you mention might be Superior Buckles. You can get the full set or just replacement slides from Weaver here "https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/catalog/item-detail/65-2360/quick-change-stirrup-adjusters/pr_55931/cp_/shop-now/harness-saddlery/saddlery/miscellaneous"

I'm not sure what the 1st set you were talking about is. Good luck finding them.

Best, Josh

Hi Josh - Thanks for the link, but that's not the same kind of pins. Attaching a pic, just for the visual. Originally, there was a special type of blanket pin that went through the two pins that go in the holes on the stirrup leathers. I'm attaching a pic similar to the type of "safer" blanket-style pin that used to come as a set with the pegs. Somebody made earrings out of that style.

Still on the hunt for those Harris-style buckles. No joy so far.

pin-stirrup-adjustment-3201.jpg

like-special-pins.jpg

These Tough 1 buckles don't look plated to me but worth a call to the vendor... hard to tell and no real description.

http://www.jtidist.com/stable-supplies/hardware/stirrup-leather-buckles/tough-1-reg-quick-change-buckles-57970.html

The peg and pin version are a real mystery and just took 45 minutes of my internet life poking around.... maybe check with a harness maker rather than saddler?

On 5/5/2020 at 2:47 AM, gothcowboy said:

I know I've seen them someplace, but does anyone know where I can find quick change Western stirrup leather buckles like those used on Harris (and a few other brands') saddles? I found some similar (imports) by Tough-1, but those appear to be plated hardware and I'm looking for something more durable that won't rust, probably stainless steel.

Worst case scenario is I replace the old Al Ray buckles with Blevins, but my hands are telling me no. I've really developed a dislike for them.

I'm also trying to find replacement pins for an old set of stirrup leathers - the kind that had a peg through each hole, then something similar to a blanket pin went through them. I can't for the life of me remember what they were called, or who made them. I used to see them in old catalogs, and every once in awhile on eBay, but I haven't seen any for years. I'm old enough to remember when they were still sold in tack stores! I'm trying to replace some old corroded ones, just for the sake of keeping the saddle original.

Any help is much appreciated!

Harris-Roughout-Fenders.jpg

It was called the Ben Veach stirrup buckle. Beach patented the style in '93(?), but sold the rights years ago.  Harris may be having them manufactured for themselves, since the patent would have expired by now anyway, if I'm not mistaken.

I doubt if you'll find any of those pegs and pins sold new.  The best you could hope for is to find some new old stock somewhere.  I have a box with a couple sets and some singles that I keep around just in case I need them someday.  If you were desperate, the pegs wouldn't be that hard to make, at least for someone that has a little aptitude for metal working.  That pin might take a little more ingenuity.  I never have seen them listed in a catalog, and can't ever remember a name associated with them.

On 5/6/2020 at 9:31 PM, BigSiouxSaddlery said:

It was called the Ben Veach stirrup buckle. Beach patented the style in '93(?), but sold the rights years ago.  Harris may be having them manufactured for themselves, since the patent would have expired by now anyway, if I'm not mistaken.

I doubt if you'll find any of those pegs and pins sold new.  The best you could hope for is to find some new old stock somewhere.  I have a box with a couple sets and some singles that I keep around just in case I need them someday.  If you were desperate, the pegs wouldn't be that hard to make, at least for someone that has a little aptitude for metal working.  That pin might take a little more ingenuity.  I never have seen them listed in a catalog, and can't ever remember a name associated with them.

That's pretty interesting about the stirrup buckles. I'm going to see how the Tough-1 brand works. I have a feeling they may not fit as tight or smooth, but it remains to be seen.

As far as the stirrup pegs and special blanket pin setup goes, they used to be marketed on standup cards on the counters of tack stores back in the day (sort of like replacement spur rowels), and I can almost remember what they looked like, except I cannot for the life of me remember who made them. There's a chance there may have been an ad for them in an ancient Western Horsemen magazine or something, but I haven't looked. All that would tell me is who made them, and I doubt that company is still in business, and certainly would not still be manufacturing such an obscure setup. I was hoping a cowpoke had some new old stock hoarded away someplace, waiting for that one day someone like me would actually need them. That looks unlikely.

Edited by gothcowboy
word

Did you ever find the pins you were looking for?  I believe they were also called Speedy Stirrup Pins.  The quick change buckles are available through Toowoomba Saddlery in QLD, sold as Fender Quick Adjusters.

Edited by JasonGwiazda

The "Veach" style buckles are available in SS from Batz, formerly Walsall.  They are wholesalers.  Some retailers carry them as well.  The straps you incorporated in your leathers are a must for these buckles; without them folks get careless and the bottom post of the buckle will come out, leaving only the hook to carry the load and tearing the leathers.

https://products.batzusa.com/viewitems/-categories-saddlery-and-tack-halter-square-equine/107ss-adjustable-stirrup-buckle