Hi all- I got some shark skin in black from Springfield Leather recently for a few projects. No issues actually working with it- but it seems to be very oily. I left a piece sitting on top of some natural veg tan calf overnight and it left black oil marks all over it. If my eyes aren't deceiving me, sometimes I think I can see oil seeping out when I'm stabbing with an awl.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this oil tanned, or is it the natural oils in the shark? Does it eventually stop after it dries in open air some, or can it be sealed with any of the standard leather finishes without ill effect on the overall look?

Attached pic has a test piece of the shark in question. Thanks!

20200503_125347.jpg

The piece I got from Springfield did the same thing. Part of it got stuck between the flaps of the shipping box and left an oil stain. I took it out and placed it on a couple of rolls of leather that were wrapped in paper and the shark left a small oil stain on the paper. I haven't worked with it yet so not sure about sealing or if it's just a temporary thing.

I think it said something in the listing that it was "pull up" leather which usually means additional waxes are added in the process..

arashikage thanks for confirming it's not just me! Ed- I reread the listing and it doesn't mention being a pull-up leather (link here: https://www.springfieldleather.com/Black-Sharkskin)   Anyway had some that I attached as a decorative piece onto some veg tan that I "moist formed" and the oiliness on that piece seems to have largely diminished. Not sure if that is a product of the water forcing the oils to redistribute and perhaps some got soaked into the veg tan, or if that forced the excess oils to the surface and I wiped them away as things dried off. So it does seem there's an end to it. What I've used it for so far won't contact clothing so no biggie but I'm about to make a belt, so it seems after some time or some process the oiliness disappears (hopefully!)

Kris

Recently and currently using the Black sharkskin it's definitely oily.  I have made a small wallet with it small enough to carry 4 cards and a few folded bills.  I carry it daily no oil bleed off from it as of yet.  The other project I'm working on with the sharkskin is a motorcycle seat and passenger pillion pad for my custom Harley-Davidson. This leather definitely does have oil in it whether it's from the tanning process or something else I don't know and honestly don't care it hasn't bled off for me although it is visible during stitching and if you pinch it you can definitely see the oil. In any event I probably will reorder from Springfield as I love the look of the leather.

There is no inherent "oily" in shark hide.  Like everything else, it is tanned, colored, stained, and/or finished in many different ways.  None of the shark I have ever used has been "oily".  Still, I'm sure it is sometimes done that way, for various reasons.  I would like to think that if the shark somebody is selling is "oily", they would let you know that.

ss45.jpgGk19shark.jpg