Somiskid

NEED ADVICE ON SEWING MACHINE ONE AND DONE

Howdy Ya'll. So i want to buy a sewing machine. I want to buy a good all round machine. One machine that can do all (or most) sewing projects.

Belts, coasters, bags, holsters, wallets, headstalls is mostly where I'm at. ..

what do you recommend?? 

Would you like a unicorn with that?

Lol

No machine does it all. You would need at least 2 to get the job done. One smaller machine like a consew 206rb and a big machine like a cowboy 3200 to a 4500.

2 minutes ago, bikermutt07 said:

No machine does it all. You would need at least 2 to get the job done. One smaller machine like a consew 206rb and a big machine like a cowboy 3200 to a 4500.

So what machine would do what? All those projects don't have much difference in thickness of the leather. 

Anything over 6 oz would sew ok in a cowboy 4500, anything less the consew 206 or a class 26 cobra would work well,

1 hour ago, Somiskid said:

So what machine would do what? All those projects don't have much difference in thickness of the leather. 

What sort of holsters are you talking about?:dunno: Holsters are generally made from much thicker leather than bags etc and also require heavier thread, hence the CB3200/4500.

There is a sticky by Wiz at the top of this section that discusses the type of machines needed to sew leather, have you read it?

On 5/6/2020 at 3:43 PM, Somiskid said:

For smaller stuff the consew 206rb is good. 

For larger stuff a cowboy 3200 up to a 4500 will do.

These are generic models of great machines of the past. 

They are great working proven designs that last for years. 

Now one could argue that you could take a machine like the 4500 or a cobra class 4 and "dumb it down" to do smaller stuff. And people have. 

But, here's the potential problem with that: these machines are finicky at best. If you start monkeying around with one you need to be able to put it back to where it was before. They like to operate in a certain sweet spot within their specified range. And most, don't operate well at the extreme ends of their range. They have lots of adjustments on tension and movement. The tolerances are tight to make all those parts work in unison. 

Once you start playing with one, you will be happy to get it where it needs to be and leave it alone. 

The big machines offer too much pressure to operate well with small thread and needles. The small machines will wear out prematurely running larger needles and thread on the upper end of the tensions required. 

Sorry my answer wasn't more informative before. I was short on time. 

Edited by bikermutt07