vthokie7227

Natural Colored Letters on Dyed Dark Leather

image.png.13f3867490e672501ddc26f657ea4b49.png

Hello! I've been working on a personalized instrument strap and really like the look of natural colored stamps paired with dark leather. My first thought was to case/stamp the leather, let it dry, then use super shene as a resit on the letters, then use Fiebing's Pro Dye to dye the strap. What I've read though is that you cannot resist dye. Any tips on how to do this? Thanks!

Fiebing's medium brown stain is close to the color in your picture. Super shene will work but Fiebing's Pro Resist will give you better results. You could use a dye but you would have to paint it on around the lettering. It is more work and time consuming. If I were you, I would go the stain route, after you put the resist on and let it dry. Good luck, share a picture or two when you finish.

I recently did a few belts this way.

After stamping I resisted using Wyosheen. After that dried I mixed a bit of dye with the Wyosheen (I read about that trick in one of Stohlman's books) and carefully used a small paint brush to go around each letter. 

After I'd gotten enough distance from the letters I dyed as usual.

IMG_20200912_194709884.jpg