SDeaconandSon

Could you verify this blade setup on my Landis Model 30?

Hello everyone, 

Would someone mind giving me a hand with this Landis Model 30 splitter blade set up? It is giving me fits. I just got the blade back from the sharpener and can't remember exactly how to reinstall it. I have a couple specific questions. 

1) Do I have the blade stops installed correctly on the bottom roller? 

2) Do I have the blade facing the correct direction? Do I need to flip it over?

3) Is the idea to raise the bottom roller up to close the gap between the blade and the roller? Or lower the bottom roller down to close the gap?

4) How far forward does the blade sit in relation to the blade stops?

I have raised and lowered the bottom rollers a bunch of times and can't seem to get the 1/16th recommended gap. It is either way too big (about 1/8" and everything slides under) or I end up having the blade just resting on the bottom roller which isn't good either. I must be missing something. 

For context, in a perfect world I would set this machine up to split English Bridle from about 2.5mm down to about 0.8-1mm. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. 

IMG_6286 copy.jpg

IMG-62871 copy.jpg

Edited by SDeaconandSon

Do you have the manual for this?  It is free to download and that will help.  I have tinkered with these but am not good enough to give suggestions.

looks great!   Manual is available on line and it does a pretty good job of explaining how to set the blade.   There are stops which are intended to catch the blade at each side.  They also tend to damage the blade at each end and then will not position it accurately.  So front to back position of the blade should be done carefully.  I'm not sure it is the most critical alignment aspect on this machine however.  The blade gap between the bottom roller is however.  It should be about 0.060" or the thickness of a credit card.  The gap is set by making adjustments to the hex nuts that are below it in the frame.  They are in reaction to the big coil springs which load the lower roller into the leather as it travels through the blade.  Those sliding components need to work freely in the splitter frame.  

Silverd