Chief Filipino

History of Sheridan Tooling

Hello everyone, I hope that you are all well and staying safe during this pandemic. I wasn't able to find a solid answer to a question I've been trying to research. 

Where did the Sheridan style of leather tooling come from? The floral design is very similar to the "okir" designs from Southern Asia. If you know awesome! If not perhaps you know of some literature that covers it? I've tried searching the internet but much of it discusses technique but not history.

Thanks!
Teo

Excellent background article. The people from southeast Asia have jumped on this style and many have become proficient. The All Stohlman award winner a few years ago was a little lady from Japan who had actually spent a considerable amount of time with Don King in Sheridan studying under him.  

The problem when discussing Sheridan style, 95 percent of the people on this forum  call anything with flowers and circles, Sheridan.   A few years ago, Hidepounder wrote a piece on the various styles of western floral tooling, trying to educate people on what the differences are.  I am sure you can do a search on this forum and find this

In my mind, the premier Sheridan tool maker is Don Kong's grandson Barry King.  He is carrying on the family tradition, using the tool forms started by his grandad.

Terry

Edited by terrymac

@Chief Filipino, if you can get your hands on it, the book "Sheridan Style Carving" with Bill Gardner and Clinton Fay by Bob Likewise has some history and characteristics of Sheridan Carving.  It is a good book and has some help on how to draw and carve as well.  A lot of great photos in there of some works by the originators and masters of the style too.  I am referencing it on a piece I am working on right now.

YinTx

On 5/7/2020 at 10:22 PM, Arturomex said:

Awesome thank you! Also thank you for the Barry King article! 

5 hours ago, YinTx said:

@Chief Filipino, if you can get your hands on it, the book "Sheridan Style Carving" with Bill Gardner and Clinton Fay by Bob Likewise has some history and characteristics of Sheridan Carving.  It is a good book and has some help on how to draw and carve as well.  A lot of great photos in there of some works by the originators and masters of the style too.  I am referencing it on a piece I am working on right now.

YinTx

I'll look into picking up a copy, thank you!

On 5/8/2020 at 2:56 PM, terrymac said:

Excellent background article. The people from southeast Asia have jumped on this style and many have become proficient. The All Stohlman award winner a few years ago was a little lady from Japan who had actually spent a considerable amount of time with Don King in Sheridan studying under him.  

The problem when discussing Sheridan style, 95 percent of the people on this forum  call anything with flowers and circles, Sheridan.   A few years ago, Hidepounder wrote a piece on the various styles of western floral tooling, trying to educate people on what the differences are.  I am sure you can do a search on this forum and find this

In my mind, the premier Sheridan tool maker is Don Kong's grandson Barry King.  He is carrying on the family tradition, using the tool forms started by his grandad.

Terry

It's funny that you mention SE Asia because a big part of what sent me down this path was my recent discovery of Okir patterns of the Southern Philippines. The floral patterns have a very similar feel/look to Sheridan style. I will research some more info on Barry King's style. 

You could say that Sheridan style was born by the merging by Don King of the Arizona style that he learned from Showater, the Visalia style he picked up working in California and the pre-Sheridan style present in The Wyoming of his youth.

Of the main styles of carving Sheridan is arguably the newest arising from other older classic styles.

Part of the history goes to the prerefrigeration days when cattle was raised in the west for hides that were salted and shipped to Spain. Mexican and Spanish leatherwork was some of the best in the world for a couple of centuries.

On 6/6/2022 at 12:35 PM, PeterinID said:

You could say that Sheridan style was born by the merging by Don King of the Arizona style that he learned from Showater, the Visalia style he picked up working in California and the pre-Sheridan style present in The Wyoming of his youth.

Of the main styles of carving Sheridan is arguably the newest arising from other older classic styles.

Part of the history goes to the prerefrigeration days when cattle was raised in the west for hides that were salted and shipped to Spain. Mexican and Spanish leatherwork was some of the best in the world for a couple of centuries.

:) Thanks for the info!

On 6/7/2022 at 4:19 AM, PastorBob said:

Here is a recent interview with Barry King.  https://www.internationalleatherclub.com/international-leather-journal/

Awesome, thank you!