DirtyDusty

Stamps for oak leaf tooling

What are the basic stamps I will need for oak leaf tooling?  Just starting out stamping and trying to assemble a set. 

Let me see, I think:  Swivel knife.  Smooth pear shader.  Lifter.  Beveler.  Modelling spoon.

not necessary, but you could use a leaf liner also.  A bit presumptuous on my part concerning the style of leaf you wish to carve.  A photo example of what you want to accomplish would help deciding what tools are needed.

YinTx

Here is the style you can do with the above tools.  You can see I made my own lifters from some cheap screwdrivers.

OakLeaf1LR.thumb.jpg.f8794b74fae8fef7cfc792860100d0ac.jpg

On 5/9/2020 at 2:00 PM, YinTx said:

Let me see, I think:  Swivel knife.  Smooth pear shader.  Lifter.  Beveler.  Modelling spoon.

not necessary, but you could use a leaf liner also.  A bit presumptuous on my part concerning the style of leaf you wish to carve.  A photo example of what you want to accomplish would help deciding what tools are needed.

YinTx

Here is the style you can do with the above tools.  You can see I made my own lifters from some cheap screwdrivers.

OakLeaf1LR.thumb.jpg.f8794b74fae8fef7cfc792860100d0ac.jpg

That’s the style I was looking. What did you use for a background stamp?

Man, that looks really great.  I never would've thought to have made lifters from screw drivers.  Love this board!  

I'm not adroit at tooling, but I'd like to know more about home brew lifters.

9 hours ago, DirtyDusty said:

That’s the style I was looking. What did you use for a background stamp?

If I recall correctly, I used an A104 Craftool around the leaves, and probably an E294 between the leaves and the basketweave.

7 hours ago, Bant said:

I'm not adroit at tooling, but I'd like to know more about home brew lifters.

Not sure what info you are looking for, but they were pretty simple.  cut the end off and shape it to your liking.  Sharpen it up on a set of stones, then polish.  Not much to them.

YinTx

2 hours ago, YinTx said:

Not sure what info you are looking for, but they were pretty simple.  cut the end off and shape it to your liking.  Sharpen it up on a set of stones, then polish.  Not much to them.

well, for my part I'd be interest in how they are used

thanks

sorry, 

PS. thats a really loverly bit of tooling on that oakleaf corner, and the basket weave as well.

Edited by fredk

23 minutes ago, fredk said:

well, for my part I'd be interest in how they are used

thanks

sorry, 

PS. thats a really loverly bit of tooling on that oakleaf corner, and the basket weave as well.

Ah, well in that case, let an expert show you better than I how it is done -plus he has a video, I don't!  (jump to 11:22):  (and many thanks for the compliment!)

YinTx

thanks for coming back so quickly. I always forget stuff can be found on youtube  :rolleyes2:

6 minutes ago, fredk said:

thanks for coming back so quickly. I always forget stuff can be found on youtube  :rolleyes2:

Glad I could.    Not always easy to filter through all the info out there to find the good stuff, if you watch some of his videos on facebook, you may find more detailed use of the lifters.  Also, if you purchase any of his videos off Elktracks Studios, for sure there will be very detailed demonstrations.

YinTx

I avoid facebook like the plague.

which reminds me, I have a Plague Doctor's Mask to make up

I'll check out the Studios tho, sometime soon-ish.

Thanks for the responses.  As usual, I tend to over think and/or complicate a reasonable and straight forward task.  Again thanks.