W7JRR

Swivel knife checkering

As we all know the checkering on tooling varies between manufacturers a lot.  How would you say the checkering compares on swivels knives from Henley vs King?

I believe Henley offers 2 different checkering while King only uses 1!  I have a regular checkered Henley and it is a little finer checkering than Kings. Both are very good knives but the Henley blades seem to be better for my liking.

This is not exactly what you’re asking but the knife on the right is a Henley bought at the beginning of 2018. The one on the left is from a Tandy beginner kit. Don’t remember what was specified regarding the knurling on the Henley, but it feels fine. I don’t own a Barry King.

2B0BF2E0-3C50-4D08-AABF-D12C565654C9.jpeg

As long as the knurling provides sufficient grip I can't see why anybody would be concerned about it.

Just looking to make sure the checkering is fairly aggressive.  A lot of tools are done with the checkering being nothing more than decoration.  I'll probably try to give Henley a call in the morning to get some pricing from them.

Just to keep the terminology straight, it’s knurling on lathe turned pieces, done with a rotary knurling tool that displaces material and impresses a pattern. Checkering is done with a file and is a metal removal process.