Leathermann00b

Guidance Needed replicating compendium

Hey Gentlemen,

I'm brand new to leather work. Never done anything before, and need some guidance replicating compendium pictured with a few changes for a birthday gift. (I originally contacted someone to make it for me, but they stopped replying to my messages). So I've been watching youtube videos to try learn how to do this.

Here are my questions:

1. Should i use natural vegetable-tanned leather? or other? Thickness?
  2. I like the color & size of the thread they used, is that a specific thread thickness?
  3. Which stain should i use to achieve that same shade Burgundy? Oil based stains are better right?
  4. Aside from the stain, what other chemicals/oils will i need?
  5. How have they achieved that light pink on the inside (fury side)?
  6. If i want to fit a tablet or macbook in the pocket, is there a rule of thumb on how much extra spacing to i need to allow either side?
  7. I plan to add an A4 ring binder to the center, but worry about the rings impacting the tablet when closing. How wide should i create the center gap to avoid this?
  8. Finally, what are the minimum tools i will need to buy for this job? Here's what i think i need;
  • Something sharp to cut with
  • A needle,  size?
  • Stitch groover, how far in to i make the grove?
  • Stiching punch to match thread, size?
  • Edge beveler, shape?
  • Burnisher
  • hole punch for button, size?
  • hole punch for belt, size?
  • hole punch for A4 ring binder, size?
  • way to stamp button together

Am i missing anything?

I'm in Australia, any recommendations on suppliers with good prices would be appreciated.

Thank you kindly.

Burgundy MacBook leather holder 2.jpg

Burgundy MacBook leather holder.jpg

Edited by Leathermann00b

44 minutes ago, stelmackr said:

for $69 you can my  what you want minus the A4 ring binder

Yes, but i would really like a ring binder. I fear if i just buy the stock one, and add a binder, it wont close properly...

If i only had TWO question, they would be;

1.  What leather did they use in the picture?
  2. how to get the sizing right for the ipad/macbook pocket on the right?

Here are the dimensions of an macbook 15" (13.75inch x 9.48inch x 0.61inch) (34.93cm x 24.07cm x 1.55cm)

5 hours ago, Leathermann00b said:

I'm in Australia, any recommendations on suppliers with good prices would be appreciated. 

Australia covers A LOT of ground, where abouts ?

Birdsall Leather in Sydney is my goto for supplies and advice, when things get back to somewhat normal they also have workshops where you can go in and work on your project with knowledgeable people around to answer questions.

Also try searching online for leather work guilds, the one in Sydney is the Leatherworkers Guild of NSW, again when things get more 'normal' they run workshops in Epping.

Edited by mdawson
added links

1 hour ago, mdawson said:

Australia covers A LOT of ground, where abouts ?

Im in Brisbane.

Thankyou for the suggestion of Birdsall Leather, i will check them out.

Guilds workshop is also a good idea, thanks :)

13 hours ago, Leathermann00b said:

If i only had TWO question, they would be;

1.  What leather did they use in the picture?
  2. how to get the sizing right for the ipad/macbook pocket on the right?

1. Send a picture of what you want to leather sales companies in AU.  Hear is a sampling of companies I found with google:

https://www.leffler.com.au/
https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=leffler@leffler.com.au

https://www.ebay.com.au/str/australianleatherwholesalers

https://www.dshorne.com.au/indent-leather-sales
https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=info@dshorne.com.au

https://www.austanners.com.au/
https://mail.google.com/mail/?view=cm&fs=1&tf=1&to=sam@austanners.com.au

2. Place the Ipad/Macbook on the leather you buy and place the second piece on top of the Ipad and judge where the sewing might make a good fit.  Tight enough to hold it, but not so tight to make it too hard to remove.

If your around the Brisbane area I would check out this link https://www.theleathershed.com.au/

They run workshops and such as well sometimes I believe. I have sourced leather from them for 20+ years and they are normally pretty good to deal with. Tell Trevor and Tracey Brian sent you and expects a big discount on his next order - :P

Re the ring binder they will take a fair bit more work to do right and the cover will need stiffeners added into it. I would start of getting one from office works and pulling it apart. To get your length of leather measure, cut a strip about 20mm wide of the thickness you have and use it like a ruler going over the shut folder allowing for about 6+mm overhang on both sides for your stitching and trimming up. Getting the rivets out can be tricky and a sharp drill bit would help. You will need to get some rivets to replace so check if they have them while you get your leather. Mac-lace https://maclaceleather.com.au/

will have some if they don't and is another place where you can get leather and other leather craft supplies.

Hey Leathermann00b. 

As a fellow Brisbane based leather crafter welcome to the group. There are some awesome leather suppliers in Brisbane. Unfortunately they are only open to internet or phone orders and not walk ins until this Covid stuff is over.

My favorite suppliers are:

- Eastcoast Leather at Mt Cotton ( Trev is an awesome guy). They do run a few workshops through out the year. And they have one of the best range of leather in Brisbane

- Maclace Leather at Capalaba. Huge range of tools, dyes, kits, and leather. 

- Crispins Leather at Wooloowin. Also have a huge range of tools and supplies. Limited on the leather but they do have some.

- Lastly Packer Leather at Narangba. Heaps of Kangaroo leather in stock all the time. And also some cheaper hides to buy. Nothing wrong with cheaper hides, except they have a few marks and stretch lines etc. But I like that finish on some products.

Where abouts in Brisbane are you located? Send me a PM if you like. 

Cheers Damien

Edited by AussieMade

And as for the leather used, it looks like Veg tanned Bovine of around 1.5-2mm in thickness.

On 5/12/2020 at 4:03 PM, AussieMade said:

As a fellow Brisbane based leather crafter welcome to the group.

Send me a PM if you like. 

Cheers mate. Will send you a PM.

On 5/12/2020 at 4:06 PM, AussieMade said:

And as for the leather used, it looks like Veg tanned Bovine of around 1.5-2mm in thickness. 

Really helpful. Thanks for all the advice.

On 5/12/2020 at 9:20 AM, RockyAussie said:

If your around the Brisbane area I would check out this link https://www.theleathershed.com.au/

Tell Trevor and Tracey Brian sent you and expects a big discount on his next order

Thanks, will do ;)

the cover will need stiffeners added into it

Can you elaborate? Do you mean adding something stiff in between the back and front cover? Perhaps instead i could achieve the same result by using a thicker veg tan? But perhaps that will make opening and closing a problem..?

To get your length of leather measure, cut a strip about 20mm wide of the thickness you have and use it like a ruler going over the shut folder allowing for about 6+mm overhang on both sides for your stitching and trimming up

So basically add 26mm border space around the object i want to fit in the LHS pocket?

On 5/12/2020 at 4:02 AM, stelmackr said:

1. Send a picture of what you want to leather sales companies in AU.  Hear is a sampling of companies I found with google:

Great links, thanks.

On 5/12/2020 at 4:02 AM, stelmackr said:

Place the Ipad/Macbook on the leather you buy and place the second piece on top of the Ipad and judge where the sewing might make a good fit. 

Good suggestion, only trouble is i dont own a macbook personally. I could maybe cut some 15mm MDF to simulate one tho :)

On 5/13/2020 at 5:27 PM, Leathermann00b said:

the cover will need stiffeners added into it

Can you elaborate? Do you mean adding something stiff in between the back and front cover? Perhaps instead i could achieve the same result by using a thicker veg tan? But perhaps that will make opening and closing a problem..?

I have been giving this a bit more thought and as a newbie to this leather work stuff I think adding the binder clip will create a lot of headaches for you. Getting the tablet to clear the binder clips as you slide it in would entail putting a gusset section in place I believe. As well a binder clip normally has to have a solid stiffener behind it to spread the load. Rivets just through the leather will quickly tear it apart and wobble all over the place. Below I will attach a few pictures showing a prototype Filofax cover I made ages ago and you can see the construction of the type of stiffening that is required.

First pic is the finished prototype

DSC05681_resize.JPG

Outer cover removed from inner section

DSC05684_resize.JPG

Outer cover has thinner stiffener right across and note the extra thicker sections on either side. This helps to keep everything in place as it opens and closes.

Note also the foam attached to the outer cover inside.

DSC05685_resize.JPG

Note in this pic showing the lining section, that the stiffener is one complete piece with cut out sections for improved folding when shutting and opening.

DSC05686_resize.JPG

Now this design although good for a filofax that needs to be firm to be able to write inside of... it will not be so good for holding something like a tablet inside of it.

You would still need the stiffening in the centre but you may need to cut away some in the outer sections to allow a more flexible cover. The pics below show some of how I go about achieving this for phone purses and in this case shown a passport/document holder.

Ist and second pics shows the finished product

DSC00977_resize.JPG

DSC05679_resize.JPG

Here you can see the cut out section in the stiffener before the outside is attached.

DSC05659_resize.JPG

Showing outside stiffener,foam and material to be attached together.

DSC05593_resize.JPG

Here you see the cut out section before I fold the outer covers.

DSC05612_resize.JPG

DSC05626_resize.JPG

I hope that this is making some sense now.

Re the 20 mm strip of leather is a tape measure idea of sorts. When I need to get a distance around something like a tablet, phone or product lining I like to have the correct weight of leather for the job because the thicker the leather used in the job the longer the outer cover needs to be. Saves a lot of maths is all.

If you want to call/phone me just send us a pm and I will give you my number there.

On 5/14/2020 at 8:19 PM, RockyAussie said:

I hope that this is making some sense now.

Super helpful reply thank you.

Interestingly, the same seller who's design im looking to modify, has an offering with rings (in a layout i dont like), but doesnt seem to have gone to any effort to reinforce where the ring rivets join the leather.

Bad design?

Or is the thickness of the leather they're using able to hold up without re-inforcing the spine where the rivets penetrate?

Any guess how thick that leather is?

(if that's a real credit card, its 0.76mm thick. the outer cover looks to be at least 3x thicker,  2.5mm?)

il_794xN.1285110445_s9zj.jpg.bf0e79cde66c2f36e1d5297173768173.jpg

il_794xN.1237876662_ih8c.jpg

il_794xN.1237876834_kxbu.jpg

Edited by Leathermann00b

11 hours ago, Leathermann00b said:

Interestingly, the same seller who's design im looking to modify, has an offering with rings (in a layout i dont like), but doesnt seem to have gone to any effort to reinforce where the ring rivets join the leather.  I dont think This would hold up for much wear and tear if done as shown.

Bad design?ANY design can usually be improved upon and that is the beauty of being able to annalise other peoples work like this.

Or is the thickness of the leather they're using able to hold up without re-inforcing the spine where the rivets penetrate?NO! I would suggest that putting an extra strip right down the middle, top to bottom and just a little wider than the binder plate, would be a very good idea. This will also help the folder to shut in a more controlled way and assist in keeping the rings from impressioning down into the cover as much. Note that although this folder has had little to no use that the binder clips have already made marks down into the leather next to the ipad. I would give a little more gap between the sides and even consider putting a light flap or protector between where the binder clips and the ipad touch.

Any guess how thick that leather is?

(if that's a real credit card, its 0.76mm thick. the outer cover looks to be at least 3x thicker,  2.5mm?) I agree

I would like to see the ipad covered section to bit covering more than shown but this will also mean that the cover will have to open up back on itself some to enable taking the ipad in and out easily.

Regards Brian

I see the appeal of this design, but I would almost consider turning the iPad pocket around so that it faces outward, and then adding a closure of some sort to keep it from falling out. This would address the issue @RockyAussie alludes to regarding contact between the rings and the iPad. This would also allow you to stitch the ‘bottom’ of the pocket out a bit such that the iPad is never crushed against the rings like it could be with the design you’ve shown, if it slips toward the spine in use. Just a thought, plenty of ways to skin this cat.