Sign in to follow this  
MnMan

Minnesota Rookie

Hi folks.  I just wanted to drop in and introduce myself to the forum members.

My name is Douglas and I am beginning (again) to start leather crafting, something I had begun around 1995.  I had spent my youth watching my dad craft leather and he was very good at it.  Well, when he passed away I inherited all of his tools, about 6 chests of stamps, skivers, pinches, lace and just about everything else under the sun including thousands of rivets, screw in posts, etc. So while I am well stocked in equipment, what I lack is the expertise in using it so I joined this forum as a continuance to my leather crafting education.  

I have perused many topics already and I am impressed by the both the level of craftsmanship I see but, perhaps more importantly, I am impressed by the professionalism and encouraging support I see members giving one another.  

Thanks for allowing me to be apart of this forum. 

Welcome. Aboard!  It’s nice to see you are going to carry on your fathers interests! There are a lot of nice and helpful folks on here and are usually very free with answers to questions and giving advice.  I hope one of my sons will carry on my interests in leather someday.  Best of luck to you! Rodney 

Thanks for the welcome Rodney.  :)

Welcome @MnMan! There are definitely a lot of great resources and helpful folks here. Post some of your projects over in the show off and critique forums, new folks are always welcome.

Thank you.  Got some scrap light weight and heavy weight leather from SLC so I can practice.  Ironically, until 2010 I was living near Springfield, MO and now I'm up 45 minutes from Fargo where the owner of the SLC once lived.  A few more years from now my wife and I will be retiring in Missouri.  Looking forward to that.  

In the meantime, I've got to get to practicing on my scraps so I can take it to the next level.  :)

2 hours ago, MnMan said:

Thank you.  Got some scrap light weight and heavy weight leather from SLC so I can practice.  Ironically, until 2010 I was living near Springfield, MO and now I'm up 45 minutes from Fargo where the owner of the SLC once lived.  A few more years from now my wife and I will be retiring in Missouri.  Looking forward to that.  

In the meantime, I've got to get to practicing on my scraps so I can take it to the next level.  :)

I am in the St. Louis area but used to travel to Springfield on business or to see my two oldest daughters who attended Missouri State University.

I'd stop in SLC frequently.  I met so many helpful people there.  One of my favorite things was to dig through the huge box of remnants.  Since I do a lot of small items I could get some nice pieces dirt cheap.

Glad you're back into leather and will rejoin us in the Show Me State!