Scootch

Tooled and lined holster question

I'm finishing up an avenger style holster that is lined.  To this point the only holsters I've made have been unlined.  It wasn't a whole lot more work and I think it's worth the effort.  This holster I used 4/5 oz Herman oak for the liner and outer shell.  The way the inside formed to the pistol is really nice.  I have a few older lined holsters that were purchase, one has a pig skin liner and the other suede.  This Herman oak liner is much nicer than the pig and suede in my opinion.

What would you recommend for a fully tooled and lined holster... 8/9 for the outer to allow for deeper tooling and 3/4 for the liner?  I haven't tried tooling the 4/5 oz leather.  The lightest leather I've tooled has been an 8/9 oz.

Thanks,

Scootch

I'd go with the 8 - 9 for the outer.  It will be stiff enough for good support of the gun .  I need a real heavy duty holster for a gun and I'm using 8/9 for the liner as well.  The gun is quite large and softer leather just doesn't work for it. I'll post a picture when I'm finished.