tbone669

Stiffener, Reinforcement Tape, and Piping for bag making

Hey all,

I’m looking for some help figuring out where to get some supplies.

I live in US and am looking for stiffener, reinforcement tape, and piping for bags.
I am teaching myself leather craft one project at a time.  One source of information is online videos.  One such video showed a few materials I’m not sure how to get ahold of, or if they are equivalent.

Stiffener - Salamander Bonded leather
Like the product used in this video at https://youtu.be/OkdxZsqxtdY?t=557
It looks like cardboard but I think its bonded leather like this stuff https://www.colliniatomi.it/en/regenerated-leather-foils-salpa.html
This looks similar https://www.rmleathersupply.com/products/salamander-salpa-reinforcement?variant=14647738630253 ($28 for 58"x36" for 0.5mm natural) or
Is this equivalent? https://www.springfieldleather.com/Bontex-Bag-Stiffener. ($9.99 for a 48"x44")

Reinforcement tape
Like the product used in this video at https://youtu.be/OkdxZsqxtdY?t=1342
This stuff from RM Leather looks like it comes in sheets, is it the same stuff? https://www.rmleathersupply.com/products/premium-non-stretch-tape-high-strength-reinforcement-0-25mm?variant=32420672733293
Is ripstop tape similar?  I see a lot of tent/sail patch kits, is that similar?  What about binding tape, is that the same?
I’ve seen it used on the back of pocket corners too, to prevent tearing.

Piping.
Like the product used in this video at https://youtu.be/OkdxZsqxtdY?t=1385
Currently I wrap thin leather around paracord.  Where would I find the leather piping some bag makers use?  Like this stuff https://www.colliniatomi.it/en/2-mm-round-leather-lace.html in the US
Is this the same? https://www.weaverleathersupply.com/catalog/item-detail/30-1800/round-leather-lace/pr_55747/cp_/shop-now/hand-tools/hand-stitching-lacing/lace

I did search for several key terms before posting, but I didn't find what anything similar to the video references.  I did look at some of the sponsor sites before posting, but part of the reason why I'm asking is because I'd like know if there is equivalent options. Sorry if this is duplicated from a previous post.

Thanks for looking,

Tim

https://www.celasticworld.com/Celastic_LT_s/3.htm                       this might be your stiffener 

That stuff is neat! Thanks for the link. I’m not sure if that’s the stiffener, but thats got me thinking about cosplay costumes and armor inserts. I watched the video of the toe cap install on the cowboy boot.  Boots and shoes are something I haven’t tried yet.

thanks again,

Tim

Not sure what you are building. That would determine the materials you need.

If you are looking for the cardboard looking material, that is bontex. It comes in several thicknesses which in turn affects the stiffness of your project. The bonded leather will give you a different type of support.

the piping can be anything. Don't need to buy any special materials. If rope works, use it. Plastic tubing works. Paracord too. You find a rigid plastic made specifically for piping, even weed whacker string works.

Again depending on what you are doing, fabric or nylon webbing are options.

Sometimes you need to buy parts specifically made , but sometimes it's easier and cheaper to find alternatives.

Hey Blue thanks for the reply.

I am building a zippered bag for a small laptop. Simply lined with a divider.  No shoulder strap. Using thin 2-3oz oily leather for handles and design elements and canvas for the sides.

So far for stiffener I've been using craft foam or glued-in pellon interfacing.

In the picture I am showing a test piece of piping I've created from thin rope. Also in the picture is the pieces I'm using to attach the handles to the bag (1/2" Dee ring).  

I am gluing rip stop nylon to the back of pieces that might stretch for reinforcement.  The reinforcement tape example in the video link would save time and would be easier/cleaner. But I've only found the sheet stuff I linked above. Is it equivalent? Does anyone offer a peel and stick tape option in the US?

For the piping, I've asked employees of fabric store for piping and they didn't know what I was asking. I haven't seen it on their shelves.  I've been making do with paracord and rope for the last couple projects.  I'm still learning and would like to learn the right habits.. what is the right material for the job vs what can I rig together to make work?  In the videos they usually use leather cording.  I think the stores in the US call it round lacing. Is the stuff I've linked above the same or equivalent to what is linked in the video?

I like your idea of weed whacker string though. I think I have a roll of stuff that was too thick for my last machine that might work perfect.

Thanks again for reading and responding.

Tim

Piping and shields.jpg

I  bought some actual piping cord. For the life of me I can't remember where. But it is just like the stuff from the hardware store for the weed eater. I have seen drapery cord piping at Wawak.com but I don't think it would be much different from paracord or rope . As long as you can get the diameter and stiffness you want, the end result should be fine.

If you're looking for a little bit of protection for the laptop, you might consider closed cell foam. You can get different thicknesses and it will give your bag the structure I think you are looking for.

If you're using an oily leather, you will have trouble with any adhesives sticking to it. For no more than you have to do here, l would just do like you are with the ripstop. I wouldn't try to get it to the edges through. May give you fits when you finish the edges. At 2/3oz, maybe double the nylon? The weight of a laptop will tug pretty good.

What you have so far looks really good.

Panhandle Leather https://panhandleleather.com has piping if you don't want to make your own. They sell a lot of boot making supplies. 

Sailrite  https://www.sailrite.com  has a lot of Upholstery supplies that can cross over to leather work. 

I believe that many leather workers, who specialize in handled carried bags such as folios and laptop/Ipad type bags, make their own handles from various types of piping and other materials. Innovation most times requires a bit of trial & error but that is all part of the fun of working out new ways to do things, for me anyway.

When I taught an Autobody Program in a community college back in SoIL, I included a course in auto upholstery basics and I showed my students how to make leather and naugahyde welts, for seats and around many of the leather trim panels, from a paper type piping "foundation", bought from upholstery supplies shops, and then wrapping matching and also contrasting colors of thin leather around the paper piping to set off the design of the new upholstery. Much of what I did back in the day was focused on custom interiors on custom street machines and also boat seats so we tried to be "different" in ways to set our work off from other guys who stuck to the OEM styles of reupholstery.

I can imagine a really beautiful look on a stiffened bag type of construction by contrasting the welt and/or the round handles with leather of another color to offset the monotone overall color of the bag or folio. One of the very best jobs I did on a total restoration of a Triumph TR-3A, which was finished in a very bright red 2 part epoxy top coat, was to do the interior in black leather with almost exact matching bright red welting on all of the seat seams and door and trim panel coverings. It was a real show winner, literally and otherwise, as it would take top spots in almost any of the Sportscar shows in and around the St. Louis area over to SoIL and into the states adjoining IL! [I can see where the same basic concept could be used in doing bags and folio covers, it they also had a welt around the outer edge or along the seams of the project.]

Those shows were quite popular back in the early 70's into the late 80's when I had to get out of the trade for medical reasons which probably would have killed me had I stayed active for a few more years. As it was, it took me over 2 years of coughing and hacking to clear my lungs of the accumulation of bondo and paint and primer dust and also fiberglas dust [think Repairing a 'Vette] which I had inhaled over my autobody career. [We weren't much concerned about the repercussions of inhaling those types of things back in the day.] I became aware of the risks when I had to teach ONLY the correct ways to almost anything done in a repair shop coupled with more stringent OSHA laws on using respirator masks and air assisted paint respirators while doing any kind of spray painting or priming. I had the white paper "dust" masks available in my shop for my employees to use when sanding or painting but that was about the extent of our "safety" precautions back in that time. The reason I mention this is that I notice many leather workers are applying dyes, sealers, and other products with airbrushes and a furnace filter fitted to a makeshift box type of affair, and that will not adequately stop all of the overspray and airborne fumes and spray droplets that are generated by even a tiny airbrush when used by itself in an enclosed airspace like a small shop or studio. [Just a heads up from a guy who almost killed himself by not understanding the ramifications of not using proper safety gear in his work environment.]

Consew was the top o' the line walking foot machine in those days for light upholstery sewing and I was lucky to get one on my school shop's budget when it was the deciding factor in expanding the teaching program to include the upholstery class. Nowadays I wouldn't have a clue which are the best of the best, almost all of them are now much better than the machines which a vocational program could afford to buy back in the 70's.

Edited by OldLeatherGuy
Clarity of explanation

On 5/12/2020 at 4:23 PM, tbone669 said:

Currently I wrap thin leather around paracord.

I build the handle around a piece of stretched-out bungee cord, so that when I release the tension, the cord fills the void inside the handle.

Hello,

I make my own bags and accessories, some of things that work for me: 

Stiffeners- bag base. In the UK I was using Buckram material which is most commonly used in millinery I believe- it comes in various weights (I use thiiner for small leather goods, heavier for the base of a bag) . For the overall structure of the bag I stock mostly to craft foams and interfacing (like pellon etc. that you have listed) as I don't find leather needs too much support to sit upright (thin buckram can be good to get it to stand up without too much weight- this is a recent discovery for me!) 

Piping wise- I tend to use vinyl when I make my own piping as it is a bit thinner and a lot of my designs can get bulky quickly. It's flexible and easy to sew around curves and there is all sorts of colours. I guess this only works if you are working with a contrast design aesthetic though) 

I haven't used much reinforcement tape but I will have a proper look at the links you put on there-I should probably consider using it myself!