CSoko

Thread Spool Unraveling while sewing

Hello,

I'm new here and new to a used Singer 29k73 patcher with a treadle base. I purchased 1/2 pound #69 bonded thread from Toledo sewing and using it on the top of this machine. I am having trouble keeping the thread from falling down the spool. These are straight spools not tapered so when the thread is lifted off the top it unravels and collects on the black base of the spool. I have ordered and waiting for some of the thread net materials to try to wrap the outside. I tried a rubber band but its to tight. The thread does go through a tall wire with a loop and then into the proper routing hardware into the machine. 

I looked around on this site and did not find any information about this problem. Another Youtuber called it puddling not sure what to call it or what to look for. I'm not sure if the thread is not wound tight enough on the spool and that is why it falls.

I will post some pictures soon.

I look forward to any help.

Thank you,

Cory

If you do not have a thread stand, get one. They enable the thread to unwind from above the spool.

Ferg

You may be able to use a nylon footy until your netting gets there

Here is the setup. I have a thread stand that mounts to the machine. 

I spoke to a friend about this and they said as long as the thread falls naturally it shouldn’t become a problem. 

I will try the recommendations that have been posted also.

thanks

cory

AD81B6EF-D74A-46B3-83D9-55776E8CE06E.jpeg

5E7E22CC-97D5-4926-B9B2-DB7C2AA19DE5.jpeg

62DD00B5-C859-4706-8A93-1E9052429406.jpeg

Your type of stand won't put the little bit of tension on the thread needed. Also, I think your stand is too high but that shouldn't be the problem.

You need to retard the thread going over the metal loop at the top of thread stand. When the machine pulls thread and then hesitates for a split second the thread drops to the bottom of the spool

causing the problem you have.

Ferg

If I put another set of the tension discs like the front of this machine has at the top to apply just a little tension that would be enough? Or is that to much tension? I can remake the rod with a different top so I can mount a tension assembly to it. 

I got the nets in and they apply to much tension and the thread gets stuck when it is pulling from the bottom of the spool. I haven't tried the nylon footie yet and I think I am going to modify the top and mount another disc tension on it. 

I am I the only one that has this problem or no one cares it bundles up at the bottom? 

Im new so these are the growing pains. 

Thanks,

Cory 

The tension you need is so slight I am afraid tension discs won't work, no harm in trying it though.

Open the disks so the thread has no noticeable tension on it. Moving through the open discs could just be enough to make it work.

You may have to do some minor adjusting to your normal tension discs to make the machine stitch correctly.

Is the thread catching under the edge of the spool and the platform it is on? Not sure what is meant by the "footie".

Thread stands have a disc of expanded foam under the base of the spool of thread. It would need to be about a quarter inch larger, all the way around, the bottom of spool.

One more trick.....You should have gotten the thread with a clear wrap over it. Instead of putting the spool on the platform without the bag, leave the bag on it and make sure the top is open.

Not supposed to do that, just ask Bob but I think it might be another option in your situation.

Please let me know what you find.

Ferg

Edited by Ferg

I have similar trouble with  a 20 M black that I use and I brought some nets from ebay, this is what I mean, https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/123985809830

Bert.

I would recommend taking the thread stand off of the patcher as the vibration of those machines in use would do that. Try putting the thread spool off to one side and see how it goes. I think I remember running the thread down onto the floor once to stop that happening on a patcher.

Use a boot top with a butter bowl stuffed in it and lashed to the pillar. Feed the thread up around the existing spool pin. Turn the boot top inside out to keep the pull straps from catching the thread.

CD in Oklahoma

Machine140_21.thumb.jpg.d33faef6f311d0f3d64d6464c542ba3a.jpg