This has been keeping me occupied during my spare time for the last month to six weeks. There are a lot of firsts in this one.

First Gun belt, first Western Money belt, first Rough out, first Mexican loop, first time dyeing leather, first Simmons holster and first lined holster.

Unfortunately there are also a heck of a lot of mistakes too. But since most of them are hidden  I am fairly happy with the result.

holsters_new_2020-05-14_19.03.22.jpg

IMG_20200514_101639.jpg

Very nice work.  Fast Draw?

Thanks AzShooter. Definitely not Fast draw, it rides too high on the hip for that. It is more geared to the "Classic Cowboy"/"Frontier Cartridge" categories of CAS. Unfortunately I am not even going to know if the guns fit until one month after all this Covid hullabaloo settles down and the Ranges reopen. Here's hoping (fingers and everything else crossed).

Good luck with the rig.  Looks great and should get a lot of attention when you make it out to your next match.  I've watched a few of the Winter Range matches held here in Phoenix.  Looks like so much fun but I'm into IPSC and Steel Challenge so I never got to shoot the CAS matches but a lot of my friends do.

Thanks again AzShooter . We are only a small club and average about six to ten shooters at a match but we do have a lot of fun.

Nice rig!

Thanks ehvhram. It is definitely one of my better efforts. I still have a ways to go before I meet my own standards though.

I was confused about not knowing if the guns would fit. Then I saw you were in Australia. I made my dad a belt and holster for his Peacemaker clone. Had to hope it fit as he lives a 1000 miles away. Used the El Dorado Rig pattern pack and it fit perfect.

It's not so much that I live in Australia, as the fact that none of the guns I own are Single Actions. It's not as hard to get a pistol in Australia as some in America seem to think. But it's not the easiest thing in the world either. Lots of "Red tape" and government hoops to jump through first. I use the club guns when I shoot CAS and thanks to covid19 all the ranges are closed. So I can't get hold of the club guns to try in the holsters until the range re-opens and we hold a CAS match.

I made a tracing of one of the club Vaquero's at the last match I attended and used that to make my own pattern using Jim Simmons' instructions I had downloaded a year or so ago. All the other holsters I have made where simple single layer wet moulded ones. Made from 6/7 ounce leather for the guns I have at home, so no problem checking the fit on them.

I never stop getting amazed by the members' craftsmanship and creativity here and recommend visiting this forum whenever my fellows on the gun boards ask to recommend a source of holsters.