Vikefan

Where to buy Quality Leather for Holsters and Sheaths in 7/8 oz?

I've tried to get an answer to my question on a different forum, but had not one response.

Where can a buy good, quality, for the most part blemish free leather for holsters/sheaths in the weight range of 7/8 oz?

I am in Alaska and can not purchase in bulk, just a 1/2 side of so at a time.  I want decent leather with little waste.

Please advise,

Vikefan

I use Golinger Leather Co. A grade is A grade not Tannery run of Herman Oak leather.

Don't use tandys supposed superior oak veg tan. Im in anchorage and the side they sent me is far worse than the economy sides i have got from them. It looks like my kids split it to weight. And they set a whole bunch of wallets on it for this super wierd square bleach patches all over it. And they want me to wait until my tandy opens for exchange. It will be a refund for sure. Let me know what you find for suppliers that ship here for fair prices. So far all I have found is maverik leather. They have 2nd sides but they are atleast honest when they sell it to you.

44 minutes ago, Simplejack1985 said:

Let me know what you find for suppliers that ship here for fair prices.

You might take a gander at The Hide House. I go there all the time and see them shipping hides all over the world. Plus, they are really nice folks.

https://www.hidehouse.com/

16 hours ago, LatigoAmigo said:

You might take a gander at The Hide House. I go there all the time and see them shipping hides all over the world. Plus, they are really nice folks.

https://www.hidehouse.com/

Oye Amigo. That's (I think) a great recommendation. Left me drooling. LOL

Did some rough math and it works into prices comparable to what I've been paying in Canada. Investigating if there are any special tariffs on leather because if there aren't and shipping is affordable I'm going to give these people some money.

You're lucky you can visit in person.

Thanks for that.

Arturo

3 hours ago, Arturomex said:

Oye Amigo. That's (I think) a great recommendation. Left me drooling. LOL

Did some rough math and it works into prices comparable to what I've been paying in Canada. Investigating if there are any special tariffs on leather because if there aren't and shipping is affordable I'm going to give these people some money.

You're lucky you can visit in person.

Thanks for that.

Arturo

With NAFTA there shouldn't be any tariffs on it, as long as they're American-made. Then again, courier companies make a killing on brokerage fees, so you're likely to have some fees sneaked in, methinks. Otherwise, you should be paying just the import tax; plus the processing fee, of course and the tax on the processing fee, of course too. Vampires.

5 hours ago, Hardrada said:

With NAFTA there shouldn't be any tariffs on it, as long as they're American-made. Then again, courier companies make a killing on brokerage fees, so you're likely to have some fees sneaked in, methinks. Otherwise, you should be paying just the import tax; plus the processing fee, of course and the tax on the processing fee, of course too. Vampires.

Yeah, I've no love  for the brokerage side of importing. But I've purchased a few things out of  the US recently and never had to fool around with brokers. It was a straight up declaration of the item and its cost and pay the driver the taxes and duties on the doorstep or, depending on how it shipped, pay at the post office. Several packages shipped USPS and a couple came UPS. No muss, no fuss. I just reviewed the invoices; no brokerage fees. It seems a lot more streamlined than it used to be. You hardly feel their hand in your pocket. The price hasn't gone down, really. They're just getting better at fleecing the sheep.

I really like some of the leather this Hidehouse is showing on their site. I'm going to see if I can get some at a reasonable price.

Regards,

Arturo

11 hours ago, Arturomex said:

I really like some of the leather this Hidehouse is showing on their site. I'm going to see if I can get some at a reasonable price.

Please report back to us on it if you do. I'm interested as well. Where have you been sourcing your leather here? I've been buying mine from Lonsdale so far. Some from Tandy, and... not again, really.