Horsewhishper

Lining vs not lining

Hey guys and galls, it has been awhile since posting here I became very busy with paramedic school but was able to finish that. So now I am back into leather working and my maiden voyage is to make a shoulder holster rig for my new 1911. My question is about lining your projects, for reference I tend to line my wallets, holsters, bags, and belts and radio straps I tend to line as well. I guess you could say I am going a little overboard on lining my projects. I always thought it made them look more professional and it allowed me to waterproof both the front and back of belts. I was reading articles on saddle makeing lately and noticed that they don't apply linings very much or at all. So to end this how do you decide what gets lined and what you leave alone, and do you think I should line the straps to this shoulder rig as it will be my first time doing one? Thank you

Lined belts stretch less.

Lined gun belts with suede will be stronger than single ply and will stay in place better due to the gripping friction of the suede.

A holster with a veggie tan liner will not hold grit as readily as unlined and gives a nice smooth surface to help protect the guns finish and help the gun to draw smoother.  The holster will also be stronger due to layered and glued construction.

Id likely line the holster for a shoulder rig but I don't know about the harness itself.  Lining the harness may prevent some skin chaffing since you may only have a t-shirt between you and the flesh side of the leather.

Linings can possibly add bulk and weight to the over all rig if you're making due with the leather you have.  I've purchased several holsters over the years from Milt Sparks, Don Hume,  Galco and Agesis sp? none of them are lined I guess to keep the profile thin for ccw.  On the other hand most all of the western style holsters I've ordered came lined.

Just my thoughts,

Scootch

With all iv done , I don't line anything. Feeling is lining is for the "bulk" producers that have something to hide. coach, lv, ect...

while lining has its place, dress belts, some purses/wallets, the craft many of us do should be enjoyed inside & out. if you properly treat the leather it will protect your gun 

There are times when I will line holsters and knife sheaths but there are reasons to do so. If I have to place rivets, Chicago Screws, or any other metal item inside the holster or sheath, I usually line the item. Common sense dictates that you do not want that rivet or screw type attachment to rear its ugly head a year down the road and start to abrade the surface of your client's weapon. I have not lined the few wallets and belts that I have built but I don't see anything wrong with it if it suits the customer's whims and you charge for the time and materials.

I line my holsters, but not mag pouches.  Most of my holsters are open top and I like the extra friction they give and a nominal amount of protection.  That being said, holsters that don't use a thumb break live for friction , so you will get some normal wear either way.  I think it just looks better, too. I think the naked leather will do as much wear-n-tear as the lining.  I use pigskin which is thin enough to avoid excess bulk.  By the way, I've carried it on my own blued gun for three years on a daily basis without issue.

Mag pouches don't get lined.  The wear doesn't bother me and the gun will do more wearing than the pouches.  I use tension screws and/or top flaps for pouches, so no lining is needed.

Sorry I didn't catch you sooner, but there's my 2 cents.

Experience speaking:  line the holster . . . for 2 reasons, it protects the firearm better than any product you can put on the flesh side of a holster (unless it is one of those plastic-fantastic firearms that you can't really hurt) and a holster made of two 4 oz pieces instead of one 8 oz piece . . . will ALWAYS hold it's shape better and longer.

Don't line the straps . . . but make sure you pick really good leather for the straps with no fur balls or trash on the flesh side.  Also give the flesh side a good coat of Resolene and then work the straps so that they are supple.

Also make sure you give the holster . . . straps . . . mag carriers . . . all of it, a single good coat of neatsfoot oil on the hair side only of the leather . . . after you have created it . . . but before you dye it.  Let it hangout for at least 24 hours . . . then dye and finish.

THAT process makes a good looking and good wearing rig.

May God bless, 

Dwight

Hi all,

Personally I very often double my creations, because, besides the fact that it is more beautiful, it makes more "professional work" and then especially for a beautiful woman's bag it is much more sensitive to the touch and for a beautiful belt it slips better in the passageways of the pants and I find that it "finishes" more nicely the work and it also makes it possible to play on the colors, a color for the facing and another one for the lining.For the leather lining I often use very thin 0.8/1mm is perfect.
Recently I have been acquainted with Alcantara®, it is a sumptuous and magnificent product for the lining.

Edited by paloma

I line all of my holsters, like @Dwightsaid it makes them much firmer and they retain their shape better.  Plus I like the looks of it.  I have lined some mag pouches but I don't think I will any more going forward, didn't seem like it improved things much.

Todd

5 hours ago, Dwight said:

Don't line the straps . . . but make sure you pick really good leather for the straps with no fur balls or trash on the flesh side.  Also give the flesh side a good coat of Resolene and then work the straps so that they are supple.

I'll echo the straps comment.  Those need to move, unlike the gun in the holster.  No lining or even any stitching.  Those will grab clothing and make an uncomfortable ride.  I use water buffalo hide with a finished edge.