DavidMillsSaddlery

Stitch length not the same in reverse?

Ferdinand 900b see video! 

The real problem you're having is that the plate you're pointing to is bent.  The plate is meant to limit the distance the arm travels in either direction.  It is generally NOT meant to lay flat on the machine, it's meant to be an adjustment plate.  But with years of use, your plate has bent.   Try straightening the plant out perfectly straight and see if that doesn't help. 

27 minutes ago, SolarLeatherMachines said:

The real problem you're having is that the plate you're pointing to is bent.  The plate is meant to limit the distance the arm travels in either direction.  It is generally NOT meant to lay flat on the machine, it's meant to be an adjustment plate.  But with years of use, your plate has bent.   Try straightening the plant out perfectly straight and see if that doesn't help. 

These tiny Allen head screws in the bottom... I’ll have to find a Allen head that small somewhere! 

Ok, so I found a 1/16” Allen head! I took the “bow” out of this plate, by removing the allens, and using the flat head to tighten flush... no change? 

2 minutes ago, turbotexas said:

These tiny Allen head screws in the bottom... I’ll have to find a Allen head that small somewhere! 

Welcome to life with a sewing machine.  They probably 3/32 or so.  might be 2mm.    Amazon sells them.  I used to go through dozens a year.    OR you could take it to a reputable dealer and have them do a complete service for you and fix that.  That's actually what I would suggest.

1 minute ago, SolarLeatherMachines said:

Welcome to life with a sewing machine.  They probably 3/32 or so.  might be 2mm.    Amazon sells them.  I used to go through dozens a year.    OR you could take it to a reputable dealer and have them do a complete service for you and fix that.  That's actually what I would suggest.

There’s no dealers for these Ferdinands or Ferdco! I love the 6/6 you sold me! 
I do need to see if you have a race cover you can sell me though? This one is bent, and it hangs the hand motion just enough to irritate me! 

I believe when Tony serviced my machine he adjusted my back stitch using the allen screws. I am pretty sure you went opposite of what you should do. instead of flattening the plate to your machine you need to run up.

A14BB87C-1B14-40A5-A015-FE13A8F6D41C.jpeg

Edited by Old Coach Saddlery

That makes sense. If the forward stitch length is longer then by adjusting the plate further out it should have the effect of shortening the stitch length by limiting the downward travel of the arm. I was puzzled about those small screw adjusters until Old Coach explained it (like many things, obvious once you know :rolleyes:).

Edited by dikman

I put a thin spacer inside the top of the stitch adjuster nacelle on my CB4500 and it helps equalize reverse stitches.

58 minutes ago, Wizcrafts said:

I put a thin spacer inside the top of the stitch adjuster nacelle on my CB4500 and it helps equalize reverse stitches.

That is what I would have thought. It is interesting on these that the bottom side is adjusted out to get the backstitch stitch longer or so it seems. I guess that it is really shortening the forward stitch in comparison to the back stitch in this case. The Cowboy one is wedged and wider at the top.

2 hours ago, RockyAussie said:

That is what I would have thought. It is interesting on these that the bottom side is adjusted out to get the backstitch stitch longer or so it seems. I guess that it is really shortening the forward stitch in comparison to the back stitch in this case. The Cowboy one is wedged and wider at the top.

Your right & that is what Turbo needs to do get the bracket out more @ the bottom so it shortens the foward stitch.,some machines feed longer in reverse THEN you shim the top.

Edited by CowboyBob

Yes, that’s what it took, moving the bottom out further!

I received the manual yesterday, and should have the video that Tony Luberto makes within a day or two… Then I won’t have so many silly questions for y’all!

13 hours ago, CowboyBob said:

Your right & that is what Turbo needs to do get the bracket out more @ the bottom so it shortens the foward stitch.,some machines feed longer in reverse THEN you shim the top.

Thanks Bob. I am now thinking it may be a good improvement if the stitch length indicator plate had a V section in the middle when cast in order to allow the plate to swivel in and out and thereby allow precise adjustments if needed . It probably would need a spring behind the screws as done in the shuttle race body or perhaps a couple of small O rings to stop any loosening off. That would be something an operator could do quite easily without any complicated instructions and perhaps avoid the need to send machines back etc. :whatdoyouthink: