Sign in to follow this  
JoeKid1315

CB4500 Too Much Machine?

Good afternoon!

I found a great deal on a new Cowboy CB4500, but I'm worried it's too much machine for what I need. I primarily work with wallets, backpacks, portfolios, bags, etc. I don't plan to make many belts, holsters, or anything too thick. Is the CB4500 still able to handle smaller leather goods like this? I see it can go down to about 6 ounces, but I guess that would be a problem for simple adding zippers to a single layer of 4-5 ounce chrome tan leather, right? It's obviously a super capable machine, but I don't want to get a machine that can't sew everything I plan to make.

Thanks!

Unfortunately one machine does not get you everything. I sold my 3200, not because of anything except it would not or disliked small threads. Anything from 138 down.

I think you need one step lower than the 3200 with a removable table. That way you have a flat bed capability also.

Cowboy CB227R Medium Duty Leather Sewing Machine

Ferg

Thanks Ferg! I think you're right on needing to step down to the CB227R or equivalent. I was originally looking at that, the Cobra Class 26, or a Consew 227R, but this deal seemed like one I should jump on. Doesn't help if I can't use it for everything though.... Now I'm back to digging through past threads to find the right machine haha. Thanks again!

This is not the best machine for your tin projects. It is super heavy duty and would need to be "dumbed down" to properly sew thin seams with thin thread and thin, 2.75" long needles. You should be looking at light to medium duty walking foot machines, in flat bed or cylinder arm/with add-on table configuration.

For flat beds, a Consew 206RB-5, or P1206RB, or Juki DNU-1541, or equivalent Cowboy CB1541 would be good choices. For cylinder arms, the Consew 227R, Cowboy CB227R, Juki LS-1341, Cowboy CB341. These all use thread sizes 46 through 138, top and bottom. Some can apply extra top tension to pull up #207 thread. They also need heavier duty presser foot springs to hold down the leather while pulling up heavy thread knots.

Later on, if you need to sew thicker than about 20 ounces, or use heavier thread than #138, you can buy a CB4500. It uses thread sizes 138 up to 415.

Thanks Wiz! I will check out those machines and shop around a bit. A few of those were what I was originally looking for, so I'm glad I was on the right track.

Have you had any experience with the Thor GC-1341? I'm guessing it's another clone, but I called a local sewing shop and he's pushing this model for my needs. It seems like the typical price point, but this is the first dealer who's answered the phone and answered questions. I'd like to have local support if possible.

I agree with the others - you would be disappointed even if it was adjusted to sew ok with 138 or 90 weight thread.  Mine big machine sews great with 138, but it’s a lot more of a workout than a 111w155 size machine.  Everything is a longer reach, every movement requires more effort.  

Having said that, even if you rarely need it there’s something liberating about having a big machine that can handle really thick situations without flinching - so of course you have a good excuse for both sizes of machine! Lol

That was exactly my thinking haha. It was overkill for what I need, but I definitely would have had to try my hand at thicker projects just to see how good that machine was. I’m think the Thor 1341 or a used Juki 1341 is the way to go for my projects though.