nycnycdesign

Blanchard Plough Gauge Crack

Hello all,

I bought this old Vergez plough gauge from a chap in hopes of chucking the old trust wooden strap cutter to the side. After a disassembly and cleaning, I noticed this significant crack next to the blade. It looks like this was from decades of over tightening the front blade set screw. I'm curious if any of you have thoughts on fixing this. Whether it would even be possible? Quite a bummer as the seller didn't list this issue and it certainly wasnt in the photographs. 

image0 (2).jpeg

I'm guessing it could probably be brazed. If it was mine, being rough as guts I'd probably use the MIG to put a dob of weld on there.:rolleyes:

9 hours ago, dikman said:

I'm guessing it could probably be brazed. If it was mine, being rough as guts I'd probably use the MIG to put a dob of weld on there.:rolleyes:

Anyone you'd recommend stateside for this? It's a damn fine piece and I'd hate have it fudged by my local fabrication guy. 

It’d be a long shot, but you could ask Bruce Johnson if he has any parts that match. 

Hard to tell from an on-line photo, but the crack doesn’t appear recent. Is there enough material left to just use it as it is? 

Not sure if this is of any use to because of the cost but you would have a working tool which should last you a life time of work and some.

https://www.vergez-blanchard.fr/boutique_us/liste_produits.cfm?type=31&code_lg=lg_us&num=2

Hope this helps

JCUK