Squirrel42

111W155 Needle Bar won’t walk

New problem noticed after freeing up my hook assembly (topic: 111w155 shaft Locked) and got it back together underneath, noticed the whole needle bar assy is not moving when hand turning the pulley wheel there by no walking of the needle bar or little fwd foot attached to it I.E. no movement rocking. I searched for threads/topics of problems in leather sewing machines and found nothing. PDF of the adjusting for the class 152 to 155 aren’t helpful.

should I mark spots with my electric scribe and just start pulling apart the left side of machine till I find what’s snapped or happened or wait till someone responds with simple fix?  

Machine History: I don’t remember operating it in Hanger year-1998 here in LC but wanted it bad and got it via salvage form chit when I was at Grumman which is where this machine got shipped down here in Lake Charles,LA. It came from Bethpage NY I think. I tried for 22 years to preserve it till this such time putting it to use. Probably was used on Luner Module LM (Spider) project I was told by Grumman Manager who transferred down here.  

F6F390EB-8BB2-44EF-8888-C7FF897C6909.jpeg

3812AACF-6311-475E-83B0-1CBA4418827B.jpeg

There are a couple of US government manuals online that take you through every part of the 111w155.... I seem to recall this one goes over adjustments ok, but there is another that’s more clear.   

https://archive.org/details/TM10-3530-202-24/page/n1/mode/2up

I think you need to have the feet and throat plate installed to make the walking bar and presser bar 'walk'. One pushes against the other. Without the feet and plate attached it has nothing to push against.

I think!

Edited by JJN

If the stitch length is set to minimum, it wont walk.

Set it to max and see what happens.

On 5/6/2020 at 12:23 PM, Squirrel42 said:

Knipex is a brand that is available at Sears and I also have a smaller set too. Only was allowed to be in shadowed in tool cabinet at Helicopter company I worked at, no channel lock brand was allowed and Knipex has flat wrench style adjustable jaws. 

FFAA0BFC-3DA5-4C19-8D08-512382D630B2.jpeg

1 hour ago, JJN said:

I think you need to have the feet and throat plate installed to make the walking bar and presser bar 'walk'. One pushes against the other. Without the feet and plate attached it has nothing to push against.

I think!

Thanks and I just noticed that the presser foot is practically worn out with no serrations left. I’ll order a new set of regular and put back together.

F31C78B6-F4C8-40AB-8039-A4219D5DBB4A.jpeg

5 hours ago, DonInReno said:

There are a couple of US government manuals online that take you through every part of the 111w155.... I seem to recall this one goes over adjustments ok, but there is another that’s more clear.   

https://archive.org/details/TM10-3530-202-24/page/n1/mode/2up

Thank you for the link!