Hi all

Have spent most of quarantine making non leather stuff but have tried in the evenings now and then to keep up practice, so here is a batch of tooled coasters. These are all just a single square of 3.5mm veg tan, so a good way to use up thicker offcuts. I wanted to have them backed and with a stitched border but as I do not have a sewing machine this would simply take too long and the extra time and material would have made the prices a bit ludicrous for coasters I think. I hope you like them anyway, it was a good exercice in consistant batch production as far as tooling goes. 

I have posted these in a few craft groups I am in on facebook and someone brought up finish for coasters. My go to standard is two layers of tan kote for tooled stuff, so I just did the same for these  without thinking about it and am pretty sure all will be fine, But does anyone have any thoughts/advice on this?  Would perhaps a spray of lacquer be better? Always a bit hesitant with finishes on tooling as it is very easy to clog up the recesses and make a mess. I have never had problems with tan kote but happy to learn something new if anyone has experince with coaster finishes.

Cheers

Alex

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Edited by AlexOstacchini

They look great. Excellent job. I especially like the colors.

Great looking coaster sets.

Colors are awesome.  As far as finishes, I have topped tankote with 50/50 resolene with decent success, and it would help with the water resistance.  I have several leather coasters that see daily use, and today one got soaked in cranberry juice, then dunked in the sink and came out soaking wet.  This evening, thankfully, all seems well with it, despite being soggy enough to wet mold around my thumb.

YinTx

Very nicely done I would use a beeswax or mink oil for waterproofing

Those are wonderful.  Color looks great and tooling is very well done.  I like your presentation and the boxes you put them in.  I'm sure they will sell.

Thanks for the comments all, very nice to read.

11 hours ago, YinTx said:

As far as finishes, I have topped tankote with 50/50 resolene with decent success, and it would help with the water resistance.

9 hours ago, Bawarrior said:

Very nicely done I would use a beeswax or mink oil for waterproofing

Thanks for these suggestions- I have never used mink oil before but have both resolene and beeswax in my big box of bottles so will give these a try. Your anecdote has given me some confidence Yintx, how is the poor coaster looking today? 

Cheers

Alex

Love the coasters.   Nice colors, and design.

2 hours ago, AlexOstacchini said:

Yintx, how is the poor coaster looking today? 

Seems to be no worse for the wear!  Surprised the heck out of me. I think I tooled 3 oz leather, which soaked through pretty thoroughly when it got wet.  And I must say I like the beeswax/mink oil idea.  My coasters have been in daily use for over a year, I'm sure some of the finishes have worn off, and I did not put anything on the backsides, which I imagine would help as well.

YinTx

Wow!!  Those are amazing!!