KrisQ

My take on a Western Gun Rig

LW_KZ1_0006.thumb.jpg.16f0c62212d4b3c8031899e2017c5595.jpg

LW_KZ1_8717.thumb.jpg.50053620ff4d70f20cd2d0a8f1cb82a4.jpg

LW_KZ1_9995.thumb.jpg.7d23c6205fb92b2179ae522b44711096.jpg

My first cartridge belt/holster build. Probably not a traditional western look- this is my own take on a rig for myself. Most of the smooth leather is Wicket and Craig English Bridle, and the accents are shark skin. Belt is 2 layers of 10 oz leather (it's THICK), holster is also 10oz leather lined with 2.5-3oz veg tan. The cartridge loops are 2 layers of 2.5-3oz veg tan. Also debuting my maker's mark! Holster pattern designed from scratch... winged it on the belt as I went. (I finished the belt first so the pictures were taken at different times.)

Really nice. Extremely clean lines and assembly work.

Super looking holster and belt.  Enjoy it.

Sweet rig.

That's a nice piece of work. Well designed and well executed. The shark and smooth leathers work well together/off each other. And that's some nice photo work. Really well done and presented. 

Regards,

Arturo

Kris, that is a beautiful rig you made!  Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Gary

That is beautiful.

great lookin work there! It reminds me of a gamblers rig lol would look great with a suit.

Thanks all!

1 hour ago, chuck123wapati said:

lol would look great with a suit.

That's exactly what I was going for :lol:

Best gun belt I've ever seen. Classy, instead of the run-of-the-mill rugged-looking, clear-coloured ones.

Would be nice to see some pics of the back and of how it fits on the wearer.

Super clean.  Nice rig.  I was thinking Johny Ringo but then with the hard-cast bullets it's looks more like a vampire slayer.  I really like it.

Scootch

3 hours ago, Hardrada said:

Best gun belt I've ever seen. Classy, instead of the run-of-the-mill rugged-looking, clear-coloured ones.

Would be nice to see some pics of the back and of how it fits on the wearer. 

Took a quick pic of the back- it is clean, only thing on the back is the bigger belt loop (is there a term for it?). It's actually stitched between the front and back layers. I peened flat all of the rivets that are visible from the front on the back side of the front layer... so you can't feel any of those rivets even if you're trying to feel for them (also doesn't hurt that the back layer, as mentioned, is also 10oz leather).

I'll take a picture of me wearing it on a day that I've showered haha- it may not be obvious if you're not paying attention to the orientation but it is a cross draw rig. The revolver is a 7.5" barrel and I'm average height... so it would've had to have been a buscadero style to sit low enough to not be awkward when drawn, and that just wasn't the look I wanted.

LW_KZ1_0027.thumb.jpg.007c79997f288b408f9420da6cb1e11d.jpg

Really nice - super clean (as others have pointed out).  Beautiful work.

I'm not crazy about the buckle on the holster.  Somehow it looks out of place.  A small comment, don't take it too seriously.

21 hours ago, KrisQ said:

Took a quick pic of the back- it is clean, only thing on the back is the bigger belt loop (is there a term for it?). It's actually stitched between the front and back layers. I peened flat all of the rivets that are visible from the front on the back side of the front layer... so you can't feel any of those rivets even if you're trying to feel for them (also doesn't hurt that the back layer, as mentioned, is also 10oz leather).

I'll take a picture of me wearing it on a day that I've showered haha- it may not be obvious if you're not paying attention to the orientation but it is a cross draw rig. The revolver is a 7.5" barrel and I'm average height... so it would've had to have been a buscadero style to sit low enough to not be awkward when drawn, and that just wasn't the look I wanted.

LW_KZ1_0027.thumb.jpg.007c79997f288b408f9420da6cb1e11d.jpg

Hi Kris, that's called a Keeper.  Many modern cowboy action belts have them, but they weren't used back in the Old West.  Great looking belt by the way.  It's obviously not styled like an Old West cartridge belt and holster, but it's not a buscadero belt at least.  You do really good work.

Later

On 5/18/2020 at 10:06 PM, TexasJack said:

I'm not crazy about the buckle on the holster.  Somehow it looks out of place.  A small comment, don't take it too seriously.

No offense taken :) It's not my favorite buckle either in this application, but it was the best one out of the center bar buckles I had on hand.

22 hours ago, 1961Mike said:

Hi Kris, that's called a Keeper.  Many modern cowboy action belts have them, but they weren't used back in the Old West.  Great looking belt by the way.  It's obviously not styled like an Old West cartridge belt and holster, but it's not a buscadero belt at least.  You do really good work.

Later

Ya know- I knew the word keeper and just couldn't think of it haha, thanks for the reminder

That is really nice!

Nice !!!!

Fine looking rig.Managing to look both modern and stylish while keeping its vintage look and utility.

A balance hard to accomplish.