patmcf

Using a swivel knife with arthritis.

I've been away from leather craft for several years.  I'm trying to get back into it by first practicing to get my skills back.  What I'm finding is I have a lot more arthritis in my hands than I did as a middle age person.  I 'm improving my stamping skills but just can't seem to make progress with the swivel knife.  One reason is arthritis pain.  Another is advanced neurapathy in my hands.  I take meds for both but they don't help enough for me to overcome the pain & loss of sensation in my hands. Does anyone have experience with any of this & have any tips you can share? I'd be grateful! 

Pat

Where does it hurt when you use your swivel knife?  Can you reposition that part?  I have seen larger padded handles, such as might be seen on bicycle handlebars or a masonry chisel, that can be installed on any tool to give thicker grip, which may help also.

The other alternative may be to alter your style.  There are some people who follow a less-traditiomal protocol of NOT using the swivel knife to cut in their designs, and instead start directly with the beveler (next step after tracing the pattern).  The swivel knife is saved for decorative cuts at the end.

The thinking has to do with not cutting the leather and thereby leaving the chance of having a gap between carving and beveler marks... and that cutting weakens the leather significantly whereas stamping does not.

I have switched to a D.W. Leather Works swivel knife and it has been very helpful for me.  

Edited by steven1
add link

I second the Duane Watts swivel knife. He also makes a yokeless version that works like a pencil (the one I use) and it's a life saver!