solutions4feet

slowing it right down

newbie here please go easy, hopefully posting in the right place 

i had a search around on the subject but can't find anything recent so a lot of links are down 

i use a Tysew 14400P post bed wheel feed machine for working on ski boot liners, it has a 550watt servo motor but the slowest stitch speed i can get is 200 stitches per minute, in an ideal world i would like to get this down to around 60 stitches per minute  as the work i do involves heavy materials and needs a bit more control than i can get at 200 stitches per minute. (in other words my talent doesn't work at 200 stitch per min)  what are the options? i have heard about reducer pulleys but these seem rare in the UK or is the answer to just get a different motor on this machine, the manufacturers have been a little lax at giving any sort of guidance

thank you for any help

I'm not familiar with that machine but I get one stitch at a time by replacing the hand wheel with a 170mm pulley and a smaller pulley on the servo motor.

You must have a brushless, pushbutton controlled servo motor. Those are horrible for slow speed use. I discarded all of those and replaced them with brush servos that have a knob on the front to limit the speed. These motors start at zero and gradually speed up. The motors I now use come prefitted with a 2" pulley. This lets the typical machine to sew at about 1.5 stitches per second, depending on the diameter of its pulley.

When I need even more slow speed control, I add a speed reducer (shown on same page as above linked to motor).

I really agree with Wizcrafts that the dial type servos are slower and easier to use.

I have come across a few brushless servos that worked just as good though.  The better models allow you to not only reduce the maximum speed, but to control startup speed.  It's not obvious from the control panel on the motor.  I usually pull up the manual online to see how to adjust all the features.  You can reverse the motor rotation, adjust max speed, adjust startup speed etc.  

Some are adjustable that way, and some don't have all those features.  You'll just have to consult the manual. 

Good luck with it. 

3 hours ago, Pintodeluxe said:

I really agree with Wizcrafts that the dial type servos are slower and easier to use.

I have come across a few brushless servos that worked just as good though.  The better models allow you to not only reduce the maximum speed, but to control startup speed.  It's not obvious from the control panel on the motor.  I usually pull up the manual online to see how to adjust all the features.  You can reverse the motor rotation, adjust max speed, adjust startup speed etc.  

Some are adjustable that way, and some don't have all those features.  You'll just have to consult the manual. 

Good luck with it. 

A few years ago, @Cobra Steve was mailing out variable density light filters that we could insert between the light source and the sensor in the brushless motors everybody was selling. The filters gave very smooth control of the startup speed if properly positioned (and if they stayed put). I don't know if he has any light filters left, but it might be worth inquiring. He owns Leather Machine Company (Cobra), an advertiser here with banners on top of our pages.

You need to either replace the handwheel, as Toxo said, or fit a speed reducer . If you search "speed reducer" on here you should find many, many posts on the subject.

Do you have a needle positioner fitted, by any chance?

I haven't gone into it too much but the servo I put on my Durkopp 239 goes down to five but the one that came with the Adler 69 I just bought starts at sixteen and I can't get it any lower???

39 minutes ago, dikman said:

But what do the 5 and 16 actually mean?

x100 rpm I think.

The 500rpm are the lowest max speed you can set (I guess you have a JACK servo, right?) but the lowest start rpm are 200.

TOXO - what servo has the Adler 69 - any make or model markings?

thank you for the help guys, biggest issue here in the UK is getting most of this stuff, the supplier of the machine is waiting for a shipment (from china, and have been waiting for months) of speed reducers and that was my first addition, nobody seems to have them in this country!!!!  then finding a 220v motor that will do the same thing as the 110v one pictured by @Wizcrafts

looks like i have some researching to do 

for those who mentioned they didn't recognise the machine, quick picture attached, i seem to have seen this with several different brand labels on it including the Global brand model LP 9971 TDIMG_0894.thumb.jpg.91d8a8edb15afb64536cc5dc4d23bc8c.jpg

4 hours ago, dikman said:

But what do the 5 and 16 actually mean?

All I know dikman is that's the speed. One starts at 5 and the other starts at 16. Both go up to around 45.

Folker: On the Durkopp is the 550w Jack from College Sewing. Has a 2 inch pulley and starts at 5. The one on the Adler is labeled "Choice". This one starts at 16 and I replaced the pulley with a 40mm.

IMG_20200520_102845.jpg

IMG_20200520_102852_01.jpg