twilson57

Woodworking tool cases, covers, etc.

I'm so glad to find these forums. I could use some direction and advice.

I’m a hobbyist woodworker and while looking for spokeshave cases, I came across Kari Hultman’s work (see photo). I'd love to try to make similar items to fit my tools. I don’t want to copy her style, I’m just hoping to make leather cases, covers, tool rolls etc for my own tools.  I’ve looked at leather work books on Amazon, and there are many, but it’s not clear which would be best for the sort of work I’m hoping to learn. Maybe someone could recommend a book to start?

I'd appreciate any tips or advice for moving forward.

I can see leatherwork as a hobby that could grow along side my woodworking. The projects I’ve seen in these forums are beautiful.

Thanks,

Tony Wilson

large.Group.jpg.731cb5f72f192e911c6d149ac0a7f0b6.jpg

Welcome to the forum!

I don't know of any books that deal specifically with making tool cases, but the thing to realise about leatherwork is that the techniques and methods are used on various different items - sewing up a belt, a pouch, or a knife sheath is pretty much the same process for all of them

So a good book on general leatherwork would show you most things. This is often recommended, though there are others of course - 'The Leatherwork Handbook' by Valerie Michael

However, there is a lot of information on YouTube, both for the techniques and the finished items. So Search for things like saddle stitch; finishing leather edges; fitting rivets & snaps; beginners tools for leatherwork, and so on

Play around with the Search Box for how to make the finished items, things like knife sheaths; axe covers; tool rolls; pouches to see how other people do them Just follow the links; you may not find exactly what you want, but they will be close 

Most of the items you want will be unique to your own tools, so before you cut leather, I suggest you make mockups from card, like cereal packets, stapled or taped together

You could start by making a strop, this is one of the easiest items of leatherwork you can do, and it will be used frequently - Search YT. Then a key fob; start simply and build it up from there. Next could be simple slip covers for chisels, as shown in the picture, and for leatherworking knives. They don't need to be riveted, all mine are sewn

You just gotta figure it out.  I started with some garage sale rivets and an old boot. Now I’m making hand-sewn handbags. 

2CE71A98-E8DE-4CED-9E01-B94E320A2355.jpeg

2F5856ED-DFED-4D61-A90E-17615175588E.jpeg

87B9B4CA-3E3B-49E3-AB4F-4AA891D2A516.jpeg

B59838F4-5E7E-4283-9CE3-264E593A66F0.jpeg

03DD4E25-D5FD-4EDB-BEC0-63DADD7C57CC.jpeg

BE60420E-FA26-4867-8FC1-F14B95A70E5A.jpeg

thanks guys, for the terrific replies.

Doing mockups with cardstock is a good idea. I'll need to play around with sizes and shapes to get what I need.

I've seen the Stohlman set and Valerie Michael book recommended in other threads. I'll look into those. And there a lot of free books in that 'Leathercraft library", thanks; I'll be spend be spending the afternoon exploring.

And mike02130, thanks for sharing those photos. That is what I hope to accomplish. That's great work.

Thanks again, this is a helpful forum for beginners.

Found "The Art of Making Leather Cases" here.   All three volumes in print.  They used to have digital downloads for it to, but they seem to have dropped it.

Tom

welcome...

On 5/20/2020 at 5:09 AM, twilson57 said:

I'm so glad to find these forums. I could use some direction and advice.

I’m a hobbyist woodworker and while looking for spokeshave cases, I came across Kari Hultman’s work (see photo). I'd love to try to make similar items to fit my tools. I don’t want to copy her style, I’m just hoping to make leather cases, covers, tool rolls etc for my own tools.  I’ve looked at leather work books on Amazon, and there are many, but it’s not clear which would be best for the sort of work I’m hoping to learn. Maybe someone could recommend a book to start?

I'd appreciate any tips or advice for moving forward.

for what its worth.

• If you take a look at that photo you can get an idea on the whats and hows.

• something to keep in mind.  You can put alot or as much work into this as you want and try not to do the same things as in the picture.  but consider, this.  A wheel is a wheel.  You can put different dresses on it, but its still a wheel.  Are you copying the 1st wheel?   Its hard not to.

• Also, i use the KISS principle when i make my designs/patterns.   If you look at that axe cover, i made one in the 70s in jr. high school.  This was way before the internet was around and you had to read books or rags on the subject. Rags were hard to find back then on leatherwork and then in Jr. HS, i wasnt make  $$ for a subscription.   

• Since i have a background in Architecture there is a saying...."form follows function".  So if you look at all of those covers, they are simple in design and do what the owner wants.  KISS at its best.  you can design/make a better/faster/more expensive mousetrap if you want.  Again, your time.

• Also, you may want to keep in mind that some leathers depending on how they were processed maybe acidic and may corrode or rust your tools.   

• on anything with an edge and if you are any of those woodworkers that knows how to sharpen his/her own tools, i personally wouldnt have a riviet(s) on that edge if that tool was dropped.  Its just something "I" would not do.  It may not be so safe?, but id rather not have to put a new edge on a tool if i dont have to.     

• I would also make some type of caddy/holder for those hand chisels.  Or other tools like that.

• then there is the saying....." Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

good luck.

Edited by $$hobby

If you want the three volumes on cases by Stohlman, I can send the .pdf files. 

God bless