Arturomex

Techsew 2750 vs Techsew 4800

Thought I was going to buy a Techsew 2750 this morning and the Techsew 4800 popped up on the front page of the Techsew site.

I have a couple of questions I'd like to ask here about the 4800 before I start asking questions at Techsew:

What is this machine cloned from?

The website says it will sew up to 1/2" of leather and that it will sew down to 1-2 oz of leather. Will it really sew leather that thin?

Any other observations/advice would  be welcomed with the exception of "look for a good used machine." Used machines are scarce as hens teeth here. I've been looking for over a year and it's not gonna happen. I'm now resigned to purchasing a new machine.

Appreciate anyone taking the time to answer this.

Regards,

Arturo

This Techsew model 4800 looks like a clone of the Juki LS-1341 which I have and really like. I looked at the site, read the specs and watched the video.

Here are my thoughts.

The walking height dial on the top of the machine is a nice feature. I wish my Juki had it.

I like the motor and speed reducer combination. It really sews slow and smooth and even has needle positioning system.

I consider my Juki able to handle #46 to #138 thread. Possibly it can sew #207. Techsew states their model 4800 can sew up to #277 that would make it possible to sew a proper holster. That surprises me. I am not saying I have a reason to disbelieve this but I would love to see a video of that machine sewing with #277 on top and bottom on a half inch of veg tanned leather. That would make this one machine able to do what I and other members on this forum have always claimed you need two machines to accomplish.

Are you close enough to go to their showroom and demo the machine? Ask to see it sew 1/2" with #277 thread.

What do you plan on making with this machine? Type and thickness of material or leather and what thickness of thread?

It is a nice looking machine with impressive features.

Hey, thanks for taking the time to get back to me. Especially when you're busy putting that Juki 563 together. Outstanding find!

Yeah, I think the claim of sewing with #277 thread is a little optimistic. I think #138 thread is about as high I'm interested in using.

Unfortunately, I'm in a fairly remote location on an island (seriously) and the dealer is a few thousand miles away so asking for a demo is a non starter.

I'm looking to sew bags, wallets, chaps, that kind of thing. At the most I'd like to be able to sew about 5/16 inch of veg tan. I think the 4800 should be able to handle that but you've probably got a much better idea about that than I do.

This is my first machine and I think I'd probably be happier with the 4800 than the 2750 and so I'm going to fall that way.

Again, thanks.

Arturo

@Arturomex, For what you are planning to sew, I think the 4800 will work fine. 5/16 veg tan should be no problem.

John

Thanks again, John. Again, I am appreciative of your time and knowledge.

The 4800 it is.

Regards,

Arturo

Just coming across this too late it seems. 
I just wanted to add that Techsew has a nice page for just these kinds of questions, in case you hadn’t seen it:

https://www.techsew.com/us/learn/cylinder-arm-guide.html?___store=us

22 hours ago, luxuryluke said:

Just coming across this too late it seems. 
I just wanted to add that Techsew has a nice page for just these kinds of questions, in case you hadn’t seen it:

https://www.techsew.com/us/learn/cylinder-arm-guide.html?___store=us

Thanks for sharing. We get a lot of calls and emails comparing different cylinder machines so it only made sense to make a page about it.

As for some of the questions above, yes we have tested the Techsew 4800 with #277 thread in the needle and #207 in the bobbin. If you need a machine to sew 1/2" thick with #277 all day, we would probably recommend a machine like the 4100/5100/441 clone since you don't want to be operating the machine at it's maximum capacity all the time, but for the odd project it would be completely fine. 

Ron